Headlines (last 30 days)
- CRS: Humanitarian disaster brewing in Haiti. 17 Oct 2019
- UN SC: UN peacekeeping operations in Haiti are coming to a close. 15 Oct 2019
- OCHA: Unrest disrupts humanitarian programmes in Haiti. 3 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- CRS: CRS: Humanitarian disaster looms in Haiti. 17 Oct 2019
- UN SC: United Nations Peacekeeping Operation in Haiti Closes amid Growing Political, Security Challenges, Top Peace Official Tells Security Council. 15 Oct 2019
- ACTED: Le renforcement et la diversification des filières agricoles haïtiennes contre l’insécurité alimentaire. 17 Oct 2019
- IFRC: Haiti: Civil Unrest (MDRHT016) Emergency Plan of Action Final Report. 17 Oct 2019
- ACTED: Supporting the diversification of agricultural sectors to reinforce food security in Haiti. 16 Oct 2019
ISSUE BRIEF: The 21st Century Urban Disaster: More disasters, more devastating, more expensive, more complex – how are aid agencies responding?
CHF International Releases Issue Brief on the Increasingly Complex Nature of Humanitarian Responses to Urban Disasters; Profiles innovative Katye Program
Protecting Gonaives, Haiti from Future Flooding
When the hurricanes and tropical storms hit Haiti in 2004 and 2008, one of the most affected cities was Gonaives (170 kilometers north of Port-au-Prince). With funding from USAID, CHF International has been implementing projects to help protect the city from future catastrophes. The program focuses on improving drainage and flood control within the city of Gonaives as well as in the surrounding areas. Projects include constructing drains and canals, stone terracing and reforestation to prevent soil erosion, and expanding catchment systems.
Where we are working:
Port Au Prince (including Delmas, Petion-Ville, Cite Soleil and Carrefour). Beyond Port au Prince: Grand Goave, Jacmel, Petit Goave, Leogane, Petit Guinee, Cap Haitien, Martissant, St. Marc and Gonaives.
- Last week, CHF welcomed Congresswoman Barbara Lee (California) and Congressman Joseph Crowley (New York), along with their delegation.