Headlines (last 30 days)
- UN SC: UN peacekeeping operations in Haiti are coming to a close. 15 Oct 2019
- OCHA: Unrest disrupts humanitarian programmes in Haiti. 3 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- UN SC: United Nations Peacekeeping Operation in Haiti Closes amid Growing Political, Security Challenges, Top Peace Official Tells Security Council. 15 Oct 2019
- UN SC: United Nations Mission for Justice Support in Haiti - Report of the Secretary-General (S/2019/805). 13 Oct 2019
- FEWS NET: Central America and Caribbean: Key Message Update, October 2019. 14 Oct 2019
- OCHA: Haiti: Unrest disrupts humanitarian programmes. 3 Oct 2019
- IFRC: Haiti: Civil Unrest Information bulletin no. 2. 12 Oct 2019
This year the DEC has launched an extremely important appeal for Syria, and continued its work in three major responses: East Africa, Pakistan and Haiti, each of which was amongst our very largest appeals.
In East Africa, where a lethal combination of drought, conflict and environmental failure caused the first famine of the 21st century, DEC funded work has reached over 2.3m people. The huge humanitarian effort in the region has been broadly successful but the crisis has highlighted serious issues with the world’s ability to respond to very clear early warnings of disaster.
Surrounded by shattered buildings and a massive concrete wall pock-marked by shell holes and small bullet craters, I met Malaika Issack. What could drive anyone to seek shelter in a city like Mogadishu, scarred by twenty years of war?
DEC launches new website and publishes annual report
The DEC has today launched a new website that will help donors see how their money is being spent and encourage more giving.
The site has been built by SiftGroups and incorporates more rich media content such as video, slideshows and interactive maps. It also includes greater social media integration and the opportunity for visitors to discuss and comment on the DEC’s work.