Headlines (last 30 days)
- UN SC: UN peacekeeping operations in Haiti are coming to a close. 15 Oct 2019
- OCHA: Unrest disrupts humanitarian programmes in Haiti. 3 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- UN SC: United Nations Peacekeeping Operation in Haiti Closes amid Growing Political, Security Challenges, Top Peace Official Tells Security Council. 15 Oct 2019
- ACTED: Supporting the diversification of agricultural sectors to reinforce food security in Haiti. 16 Oct 2019
- ACTED: Le renforcement et la diversification des filières agricoles haïtiennes contre l’insécurité alimentaire. 17 Oct 2019
- IFRC: Haiti: Civil Unrest (MDRHT016) Emergency Plan of Action Final Report. 17 Oct 2019
- UN SC: Alors que ferme la mission de maintien de la paix, les membres du Conseil de sécurité se disent préoccupés par l’instabilité et l’insécurité en Haïti. 16 Oct 2019
New Report Looks at Past Disasters to Prepare for the Future
Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery: Are we prepared for the next Pompeii?
WASHINGTON, May 8, 2018 — The great disasters of the past – like the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD or the hurricane that devastated Santo Domingo in 1930 – can provide valuable lessons to help governments and institutions increase the resilience of communities in the face of modern challenges, such as climate change and rapid urbanization.
This DRM Country Note updates the April 2009 version. The Note was prepared following consultations with members of the World Bank’s Haiti DRM Country team and the task team leaders overseeing projects in Haiti. The programmatic DRM approach proposed within this document has been presented to the World Bank’s development partners. Following discussion with the Government of Haiti, a workshop was organized in mid September 2010 to further discuss the strategic vision of the National Disaster Risk Management System and the subsequent program to support the realization of this vision.