Headlines (last 30 days)
- OCHA: Unrest disrupts humanitarian programmes in Haiti. 3 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- FEWS NET: Central America and Caribbean: Key Message Update, October 2019. 14 Oct 2019
- UN SC: United Nations Mission for Justice Support in Haiti - Report of the Secretary-General (S/2019/805). 13 Oct 2019
- UN SG: Secretary-General Appoints Helen La Lime of United States Special Representative for Haiti, Integrated Office Chief. 14 Oct 2019
- IFRC: Haiti: Civil Unrest Information bulletin no. 2. 12 Oct 2019
- ACAPS: CrisisInSight Weekly Picks, 10 October 2019. 10 Oct 2019
This is a report of early indications of impacts from Hurricane Irma on islands in the Caribbean. It also includes useful information links for the islands impacted. It is based on initial reports from social media and public domain sources. Humanity Road activated its disaster desk on Tuesday, September 5th in advance of initial landfall in the Caribbean. Situation Report No 1 was published on September 6, 2017, and Situation Report No 2 was published on September 7.
Southern Haiti had effectively been cut off after the bridge linking it to the capital, Port-au-Prince, collapsed. As of Thursday afternoon the bridge is partially passable, though still unfit for large-scale aid deliveries. The deputy mayor of the southern coastal town of Les Cayes described the scene there as "catastrophic". 750,000 people are estimated to be in need of humanitarian assistance. An estimated 1.3 million people have been affected by Hurricane Matthew.