Headlines (last 30 days)
Most read reports
- WFP: World Food Programme ramping up to reach 700,000 with emergency operations in Haiti. 6 Dec 2019
- MSF: MSF opens a trauma hospital in Port-au-Prince as health crisis in Haiti deepens. 3 Dec 2019
- ACTED: NGOs warn about the deterioration of food security in Haiti: More than 3.5 million people in need of emergency food and nutrition assistance. 22 Nov 2019
- UNICEF: Eliminer le choléra et renforcer la lutte contre la malnutrition en Haïti. 8 Dec 2019
- FEWS NET: Haiti : Key Message Update - Increased acute food insecurity in a context of difficult market access, November 2019. 4 Dec 2019
In 2017, DG ECHO gave EUR 3 million to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) to support its Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF). When a National Red Cross or Red Crescent Society needs immediate financial support to respond to a disaster, it can request funds from the DREF.
THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION,
Having regard to the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union,
Having regard to Council Regulation (EC) No 1257/96 of 20 June 1996 concerning humanitarian aid1 , and in particular Article 2, Article 4 and Article 15(2) and (3) thereof,
Having regard to Council Decision 2013/755/EU of 25 November 2013 on the association of the overseas countries and territories with the European Union2 , and in particular Article 79 thereof,
Countries globally continue to experience the effects of El Niño, which include below average precipitation during the rainy season, more intense cyclones in the northwestern Pacific and potentially more frequent cyclones in the south Pacific over the coming weeks. Droughts in southern and eastern Africa and the Latin America and Caribbean region contribute to a declining food security, nutrition and health situation.