- South-Eastern Europe: Floods - Feb 2015
- Greece: Forest Fire - Aug 2009
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- Greece: Forest Fires - Aug 2007
- Central/Eastern Europe: Heat Wave - Jul 2007
- Greece: Earthquake - Sep 1999
- Greece: Earthquake - Jun 1995
- Greece: Earthquake - Dec 1990
- Greece: Earthquake - Sep 1990
London, UK, July 11, 2017 — Humanitarian organisations welcome the transition to Greek Government management of all aspects of service provision for asylum seekers on the Greek islands and for unaccompanied children throughout Greece.
19,000 estimated number of refugee and migrant children across Greece. Among them 2,300 UAC
6,732 children have been relocated from Greece, as of end June. Among them 270 UAC (4 November 2015 – 30 June 2017)
69 accompanied children have been returned to Turkey, in the framework of the EU- Turkey statement (20 March 2016- 30 June 2017)
Identify those most at risk; ensure fair hearings
(Brussels, July 12, 2017) – The EU-Turkey deal designed to stem migration and refugee flows to Greece has had a devastating impact on the mental well-being of thousands of women, men, and children trapped on Greek islands since March 2016, Human Rights Watch said today.
CARGO DISPATCHED: 472 MT
VALUE OF GOODS DISPATCHED: 1.91 million USD
TOTAL SHIPMENTS: 25
PARTNERS SERVED: 9
UNHRD is a network of depots around the world (in Ghana, Italy, UAE, Malaysia, Panama, Spain) that procures, stores, manages and transports emergency items on behalf of the humanitarian community.
- Total arrivals in Greece (Jan - Jul 2017): **9,738**
- Total arrivals in Greece during Jul 2017: **452**
- Average daily arrivals during Jul 2017: **45**
- Average daily arrivals during Jun 2017: **67**
- Daily estimated departures from islands to mainland: **39**
- Estimated departures from islands to Mainland during Jul 2017: **498**
Dead and missing
146 dead - 51 missing (Dec. 2016)
9 dead - 0 missing (Apr. 2017)
Switzerland – The UN Migration Agency (IOM) reports that 101,417 migrants and refugees entered Europe by sea in 2017 through 9 July, with almost 85 per cent arriving in Italy and the remainder divided between Greece, Cyprus and Spain. This compares with 239,492 arrivals across the region through 9 July 2016.
- The EU-Turkey plan is not designed in the best interests of refugees and asylum seekers, including Syrian civilians, but is instead focuses on containing the flow of displaced people trying to reach European countries.
- The plan has the potential to seriously erode the crucial protection for refugees afforded them under international law by designating Turkey a safe third country– leading to potential violation of the principle of non-refoulement.
Arrivals to Europe in First Quarter of 20171 In the first quarter of 2017, 5,384 children arrived in Greece, Italy, Spain and Bulgaria, of those 3,719 (69%) were unaccompanied or separated children (UASC)
In December 2015, Altai Consulting was commissioned by Save the Children’s Middle East and Eurasia Regional Office to conduct a research study on the protection of children fleeing from the Syria conflict and traveling to Europe. Fieldwork was conducted over January and February 2016 and culminated in a total of 198 interviews across 19 locations in eight countries: Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, Turkey, Greece, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Serbia, and Croatia.
For its second year the festival goes continental, serving more than 10,000 diners in 13 cities in six countries in 15 days.
With a menu of flavoursome African dishes, the 2017 Refugee Food Festival served up its last orders in Florence last Friday, after welcoming thousands of diners to 84 restaurants in13 European cities over 15 days.
The Dutch Council for Refugees in partnership with ECRE, the Italian Council for Refugees (CIR), the Greek Council for Refugees (GCR) and Pro Asyl, have published a series of updates on the situation in the hotspots in Italy and Greece, following its original study, produced in 2016.
Switzerland - The UN Migration Agency (IOM) reports that 101,266 migrants and refugees entered Europe by sea in 2017 through 5 July, with almost 85 per cent arriving in Italy and the remainder divided between Greece, Cyprus and Spain. This compares with 234,646 arrivals across the region through 3 July 2016.
Copenhagen and Syracuse, 7 July 2017
WHO launches Summer School on Refugee and Migrant Health
The requirements presented in this funding snapshot refer to the 2017 Regional Refugee and Migrant Response Plan covering the period January to December 2017 available at http://reporting.unhcr.org/publications
RRP requirements: $690,935,678
Funding received: $148,074,212
% funded: 21%
2,253 Dead and Missing in 2017 (as of 30 June 2017)
2,896 Dead and Missing in 2016 (as of 30 June 2016)
5,096 Dead and Missing in 2016