United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
· Tchad : ouverture d'un sommet sur le développement durable, la pauvreté et le climat (AFP, 11/05/13)
· Le Tchadien Djimet Adoum nommé secrétaire exécutif du CILSS (AFP, 13/05/13)
· Canada provides emergency assistance for refugees and displaced in eastern Chad (CIDA, 13/05/13)
· Nigeria declares 'massive' military campaign on borders (BBC, 15/05/13)
· Greening: We must break the cycle of food shortages in Western Africa (DFID, 15/05/13)
· UN envoy says CAR in 'state of anarchy' (Al Jazeera, 16/05/13)
The UK will provide food relief for 330,000 children and refugees facing the threat of hunger
Britain’s Development Secretary Justine Greening announced the new package today which will help hundreds of thousands of people across the Sahel region - including those hit by the food crisis in Burkina Faso, Chad, Mauritania and Niger.
Britain will send lifesaving emergency aid to help thousands of children facing severe hunger across the Sahel region of West Africa, Andrew Mitchell announced today.
The International Development Secretary said vital therapeutic food from Britain will reach 68,000 children in Chad, Mali and Niger, three of the countries worst affected by poor harvests.
Andrew Mitchell also urged rich countries with a significant presence in West Africa to take the lead on the international response in the same way Britain has led lifesaving efforts in the Horn of Africa.