Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- Displaced Ethiopians, returnees need continued support
As a result of the drought and the rising food and fuel prices, the number of people suffering from a lack of food in the Horn of Africa has risen alarmingly. Grain prices in the east of Kenya, for example, have increased by 60%, in the east of Ethiopia by 120% and in the south of Somalia by 240%.
“Right now, there are over 10 million people who cannot meet their basic needs in the drought-affected zones in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia and Djibouti. Their chances of survival are totally dependent on massive emergency aid,” said Minister for Development Cooperation, Olivier Chastel.
Sur proposition de M.
Suite aux inondations qui frappent actuellement l'Ethiopie et qui ont fait de nombreuses victimes, le Ministre des Affaires étrangères Karel De Gucht a décidé de débloquer, sur le budget aide d'urgence, une aide d'un montant de 200.000 EURO via Rode Kruis Vlaanderen. Cette aide humanitaire se compose de nourriture, de couvertures, de moustiquaires, de sets de cuisine, de plastic sheetings et de jerrycans.
Press release by the Belgian Secretary of State - Eddy Boutmans
As a secondary result of a meeting between the Meles Zenawi, Prime Minister of Ethiopia, and State Secretary Eddy Boutmans, an agreement between the two countries regarding food assistance was signed this afternoon.
A large part of Ethiopia is still afflicted by chronic food insecurity, with the result that ten percent of the population (of more than six million persons) is continuously subject to the threat of undernourishment.
The government of Ethiopia is therefore working on an ambitious programme to increase food …