Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Change and Continuity in Protests and Political Violence PM Abiy’s Ethiopia
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- UNHCR Ethiopia Fact Sheet September 2018
To positively respond to the UN’s appeal to the international community for combating the severe famine in Africa, and to help the related African countries to solve the problem of food shortage, the Chinese government decided to provide the emergency humanitarian donation of US$ 10 million to the World Food Program of UN. US$ 8 million of food assistance and US$ 2 million of food assistance were provided to Ethiopia and Somalia respectively, including the nutrition food for children and other food.
The Chinese government will provide emergency food aid and cash aid worth 353.2 million yuan ($55.28 million) to Ethiopia and other African drought-stricken regions to fight drought, Premier Wen Jiabao made the promise when meeting Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi on August 15, in Beijing.
China announced to provide 90 million yuan ($14 million) of emergency food assistance to countries in the Horn of Africa in late July.
Currently, a worst drought once in 60 years hit Northeast Africa and has caused a serious food crisis, and about 11 million people are threatened by starvation. Among the disaster-hit areas, Ethiopia, Kenya and Djibouti are the hardest-hit countries. In order to help the three countries to overcome current hardship, the Chinese government has decided to provide emergency grain aid to them, and will ship the grain to the three countries as soon as possible.