Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Countries from IGAD team up to end polio: The three Ministers of Health jointly launch to vaccinate about six million under-five children
- Ethiopia – New Episode of Ethnic Violence (DG ECHO, Media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
Spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights: Ravina Shamdasani
Date: 19 August 2016
An examination of very young adolescents' (ages 10-14) sexual and reproductive health needs and risks. Based on research in Ethiopia, Lebanon, and Thailand.
The World Health Organization reports that rates of violence are 4-10 times greater among persons with disabilities than non-disabled persons. Consultations with persons with disabilities conducted by the Women’s Refugee Commission (WRC) in seven countries suggest that women and girls with disabilities may be particularly vulnerable to gender-based violence in conflict and post-conflict settings. However, they do not have the same access to prevention and response programs as other community members.
FOOD: Pressure on maize price grows
JOHANNESBURG, 8 September 2011 (IRIN) - The cost of maize meal, a staple in many African countries, is set to go up, and wheat prices are heading in the same direction, according to the latest Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) global price update.
Enrique de Loma-Ossorio y Carmen Lahoz
(Para el Correo)
En las =FAltimas semanas, la subida del precio de los alimentos se ha convertido en un tema de creciente interés en la prensa internacional. Las causas, efectos y posibles soluciones están siendo objeto de análisis y reflexión por parte de todos, y la situación esta generando indignación, preocupación y desconcierto.
HORN OF AFRICA FLOODS
Unusually heavy rains during the months of October and November have turned large parts of the Horn of Africa into flood disaster areas with loss of life, massive displacement, and loss of livelihoods and assets in particularly in Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia. Accumulated estimates from the three countries put the total number of affected people between 1, 5 and 1, 8 million. Emergency response has being mounted by Governments in the affected countries, UN agencies, NGOs and other humanitarian partners.
HORN OF AFRICA
Assessments and events:
- Ethiopia: the acute watery diarrhoea epidemic continues with five regions now affected (Oromiya, Amhara, SNNPR, Tigray, Afar). The risk for malaria outbreaks due to flooding is imminent
- 1 350 families have crossed the border from Somalia (Central Southern zone) into Bare district.
- A joint government and humanitarian partners mission is assessing the impact of the floods, the response and gaps in relief and rehabilitation needs .
- Kenya: the movement of refugees from Somalia into the North Eastern Province continues.