Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- Briefing note: Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) Ethiopia (August 2018)
BEIJING - The Government of the People’s Republic of China has made a contribution of US$10 million towards the United Nations World Food Programme’s (WFP) emergency operations currently supporting El Niño drought-affected people in Ethiopia and Somalia. The Chinese Minister of Commerce, Gao Hucheng, signed an agreement with WFP’s Executive Director, Ertharin Cousin, during the UN General Assembly in New York. Earlier, the Government of China also signed a US$2 million agreement with WFP to support its emergency operations for Syrian refugees in Lebanon and Jordan.
An examination of very young adolescents' (ages 10-14) sexual and reproductive health needs and risks. Based on research in Ethiopia, Lebanon, and Thailand.
BEYROUTH , 16 mai 2011 (IRIN) - Depuis deux mois, un projet dirigé par une équipe de bénévoles dans la capitale libanaise, Beyrouth, offre aux travailleurs migrants des cours gratuits leur permettant d'acquérir des compétences susceptibles de les rendre plus compétitifs et, avec un peu de chance, d'améliorer leurs moyens de subsistance.
BEIRUT, 12 May 2011 (IRIN) - For two months now, a project run by volunteers in the Lebanese capital, Beirut, has offered migrant workers free classes to learn skills that could make them more competitive and hopefully improve their livelihoods.
"All sorts of students come," said Alex Shams, who with Janie Shen founded the Migrant Workers Task Force (MWTF) [ http://mwtaskforce.wordpress.com/ ]. It has 130 members, and 30 Lebanese and foreigners who contribute specific skills including drama, film-making and cooking.
Sixty-fourth General Assembly
29th & 30th Meetings (AM & PM)
One out of every three people residing in cities around the globe lived in a slum, and unless the problem was dealt with, another 400 million people would join their ranks by 2020, Anna Tibaijuka, Executive Director of the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) told the Second Committee (Economic and Financial) today, as it continued its consideration of sustainable development.
About Muslim Hands
Muslim Hands - United for the Needy is an international relief and development organisation, established in 1993 with the objective of providing relief from poverty, sickness and the provision of education on a non-discriminatory basis.
We work both directly and with partners in 35 of the world's poorest countries.
- summarises briefly developments during the previous month in some 70 situations of current or potential conflict, listed alphabetically by region, providing references and links to more detailed information sources (all references mentioned are hyperlinked in the electronic version of this bulletin);
- assesses whether the overall situation in each case has, during the previous month, significantly deteriorated, significantly improved, or on balance remained more or less unchanged;
- alerts readers to situations where, in the coming month, there is a particular risk …
The present Report consolidates in one document the successes achieved and challenges confronted by each of the nine cluster working groups as they endeavoured over the past year to build global humanitarian response capacity in line with their agreed work plans. Each global cluster working-group has provided an update on its financial situation, achievements against objectives, indicators, field impact, attention to cross-cutting issues and risks and challenges.
HORN OF AFRICA
Assessments and events:
- Ethiopia: the acute watery diarrhoea epidemic continues with five regions now affected (Oromiya, Amhara, SNNPR, Tigray, Afar). The risk for malaria outbreaks due to flooding is imminent
- 1 350 families have crossed the border from Somalia (Central Southern zone) into Bare district.
- A joint government and humanitarian partners mission is assessing the impact of the floods, the response and gaps in relief and rehabilitation needs .
- Kenya: the movement of refugees from Somalia into the North Eastern Province continues.
Each week, the World Health Organization Department for Health Action in Crises in Geneva produces information highlights on the health aspects of selected humanitarian crises. Drawing on the various WHO programmes, contributions cover activities from field and country offices and the support provided by WHO regional offices and Headquarters.