Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Multi-Sectoral Intervention Vital to Accelerate Reduction of Stunting: Researchers
- Mai-Aini Refugee Camp - Camp Profile Shire 31 October 2018
- Hitsats Refugee Camp - Camp Profile Shire 31 October 2018
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 66 | 15-28 October 2018
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
As part of HelpAge International’s project on advancing the rights and protection of conflict-affected older South Sudanese migrants in Ethiopia, Uganda and South Sudan, HelpAge commissioned the Humanitarian Policy Group (HPG) to conduct a study on older South Sudanese displaced by conflict, both within South Sudan and across the border in Uganda and Ethiopia.
Fight erupted in December 2013 and has displayed one in five people, some 2.3 million people, including 720,000 who fled to neighbouring Sudan, Uganda, Ethiopia and Kenya. Some 5.1 million people have needed humanitarian assistance in 2016.
Older people's needs
To find out what older people in this situation most urgently need, we have carried out focus groups and need assessments with older internally displaced persons in Juba, South Sudan, as well as South Sudanese refugees in Ethiopia and northern Uganda.
South Sudan became the world's newest nation in 2011. Two years on from independence, many challenges remain: half the population live below the poverty line and only 55% have access to drinking water.
More recently, fighting erupted in December 2013 following clashes between the President and Vice President. This led to violence between government forces and rival political factions and mass killings along ethnic lines.