Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- The Crisis Below the Headlines: Conflict Displacement in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia to vaccinate more than 1 million people against yellow fever
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 66 | 15 - 28 October 2018
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
With five new financial decisions, the European Commission is providing a total of €54 million in humanitarian aid to vulnerable people in Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya and Uganda. The funds are channelled through the Commission's Humanitarian Aid department under the direct responsibility of Commissioner Louis Michel.
"The Greater Horn of Africa faces humanitarian threats on a lot of fronts," said Louis Michel. "In this region ravaged by extreme weather conditions, chronic conflict and deep poverty, millions of people are now on the brink of collapse.
The European Commission has allocated a further €21 million in humanitarian aid for the Horn of Africa: Assistance is being provided to vulnerable populations in Somalia(€13m), Eritrea(€4m) and Ethiopia(€4m). So far in 2008, the Commission has provided nearly €120 million in humanitarian aid, including food aid, to needy people in the Horn of Africa (Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somaliaand Uganda).
The President of Eritrea, H.E. Mr Isaias Afwerki, visits Brussels today where he will meet President Prodi and the Commissioner for Development and Humanitarian Aid Mr Poul Nielson. Together, they will review progress in the implementation of the peace agreement between Eritrea and Ethiopia and discuss the current situation in the Horn of Africa. The meeting will also cover aspects of the current and future relationship between the Commission and Eritrea. Prospects of enhanced co-operation will figure highly on the agenda.
La Commission européenne a approuvé une décision de 1.740.000 euros en faveur de la population locale et des réfugiés du Yemen et de l'île de Soqotra. Géré par l'Office d'Aide Humanitaire (ECHO), ce financement permettra au cours des dix prochains mois la prise en charge des secteurs prioritaires suivants : santé ; eau ; infrastructure.
I am grateful for the opportunity to speak in this debate - grateful but sad that the debate is necessary at all.