Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Mass Arrests, ‘Brainwashing’ Threaten Ethiopia’s Reform Agenda
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Ethiopia: The 2018 HDRP is facing a US$416.4 million funding shortfall to cover needs until the end of the year
- Change and Continuity in Protests and Political Violence PM Abiy’s Ethiopia
The following statement was issued today by the Spokesman for UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan:
This morning, the United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE) reported that the Eritrean Defence Forces (EDF) have moved approximately 1,500 troops and 14 tanks into the Temporary Security Zone. The EDF took over one UNMEE checkpoint in Sector West.
The Secretary-General is deeply concerned about the incursion into the Zone, which was established under the 2000 Agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities.
SG/A/993, BIO/3754, PKO/133
SG/A/936, AFR/1222, BIO/3674
United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has appointed Azouz Ennifar of Tunisia as Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General for the United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE). He will be based in Addis Ababa.
Mr. Ennifar has a distinguished career with his country's foreign service.
The Secretary-General has decided to appoint Mr. Joël W. Adechi of Benin as his Deputy Special Representative for Eritrea and Ethiopia.
Ambassador Adechi has been serving as the Permanent Representative of Benin to the United Nations since September 1999, and has been his country's representative to the Security Council.
Prior to his appointment in New York, Mr.
Following is a statement attributable to the Spokesman for Secretary-General Kofi Annan:
Further to the Secretary-General's statement of 26 November, he has studied the five-point proposal that the Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi submitted to Parliament on 25 November.
The Secretary-General welcomes any step which may contribute to full implementation of the 2000 Algiers Agreements and the subsequent decision of the Boundary Commission, to the initiation of dialogue between Ethiopia and Eritrea, as well as to the restoration of normal relations …
The following statement was issued today by the Spokesman for Secretary-General Kofi Annan:
The Secretary-General has taken note that on 25 November Ethiopia's Prime Minister Meles Zenawi submitted to Parliament a five-point peace plan with a view to resolving the conflict between Ethiopia and Eritrea. The United Nations is currently studying the plan, and how it could lead to the early and full demarcation of the border.
The Secretary-General today announced the appointment of Sissel Ekaas of Norway as Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General for the United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea.
Ms. Ekaas has been serving since 1998 as Director, Gender and Population Division, Sustainable Development Department in the Food Agriculture Organisation (FAO).
From 1995 to 1998, Ms. Ekaas was Deputy Director, Office to Combat Desertification and Drought (UNSO) in the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
SG/SM/9139, SG/A/864, AFR/822
SG/A/819, AFR/493, BIO/3463
The following statement was issued 13 April by the Spokesman for Secretary-General Kofi Annan:
This morning, 13 April 2002, at 9 a.m. in The Hague, the Eritrea-Ethiopia Boundary Commission conveyed to representatives of the two Governments its decision on delimitation of their common border.
- This morning at 9:00 a.m. in The Hague, the Eritrea-Ethiopia Boundary Commission conveyed to representatives of the two governments its decision on delimitation of their common border.