Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNHCR Ethiopia Fact Sheet December 2018
- Ethiopia: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Tigray Region, Round 14: November – December 2018 - Summary of Key Findings
- Ethiopia: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Somali Region, Round 14: November/December 2018 - Summary of Key Findings
- Operational Plan for Rapid Response: Internal Displacement around Kamashi and Assosa (Benishangul Gumuz) and East and West Wollega (Oromia), 26 December 2018
- UNHCR Ethiopia - Operational Update (December 2018)
NAIROBI, 31 December (IRIN) - Eritrea has said "shuttle diplomacy" cannot change the final and binding nature of the independent ruling on its border with Ethiopia.
ADDIS ABABA, 29 December (IRIN) - Former Canadian foreign minister Lloyd Axworthy has been appointed UN special envoy to help resolve the stalled Ethiopia and Eritrea peace process, diplomatic sources said on Monday.
News No. 03/161
ADDIS ABABA, 19 December (IRIN) - The European Union has stepped up a "twin track" approach aimed at resolving the stalled peace process between Ethiopia and Eritrea, officials said on Friday.
1. The present report is submitted pursuant to paragraph 12 of Security Council resolution 1320 (2000) of 15 September 2000, and provides an update on developments in the peace process since my report dated 4 September 2003 (S/2003/858). The report also describes the deployment and activities of the United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE), whose current mandate expires on 15 March 2004.
II. Status of the Temporary Security Zone and adjacent areas
UNMEE PUBLIC INFORMATION
ADDIS ABABA, 18 December (IRIN) - An independent boundary commission set up to rule on the frontier between Ethiopia and Eritrea has begun scaling down staff, the UN said on Thursday.
ADDIS ABABA, 16 December (IRIN) - Armed forces' leaders from Ethiopia and Eritrea have committed themselves to maintaining military stability between the two countries, the UN said on Monday.
The meeting was chaired by the Force Commander of the United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE), Major-General Robert Gordon. Brigadier-General Elliot Kamteni represented the African Union (AU). Ethiopia's military delegation was led by Brigadier-General Yohannes Gebremeskel and Eritrea's military delegation by Brigadier-General Abrahaley Kifle. The meeting was conducted in a cordial atmosphere during which the political difficulties in the peace process were discussed.
Military officials from Ethiopia and Eritrea have agreed in principle to a United Nations proposal to improve the handling of border incidents, the UN mission in the area said today.
ADDIS ABABA, 12 December (IRIN) - A special envoy is to be appointed to help "intensify" efforts to resolve the stalled peace process between Ethiopia and Eritrea, the United Nations said on Friday.
UNMEE PUBLIC INFORMATION
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Former Canadian foreign minister Lloyd Axworthy is willing to serve as a special U.N. envoy to break the stalemate on demarcating the border between Ethiopia and Eritrea, the Winnipeg Free Press said on Tuesday.
Axworthy told the newspaper he had met United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who is seeking a negotiator to settle the border dispute between the Horn of Africa neighbors after a 2-1/2 year war.
"I'm available if necessary," the paper quoted Axworthy as saying. "But it's (his) call.
NAIROBI, 5 December (IRIN) - Four people have been killed in recent mine accidents in the Eritrea-Ethiopia border region, the UN said on Thursday.
UNMEE PUBLIC INFORMATION
ADDIS ABABA/NAIROBI, 27 Nov 2003 (IRIN) - The UN on Thursday said Eritrean troops had been moved to the western border region with Ethiopia, outside the demilitarised Temporary Security Zone (TSZ) which separates the two countries.
On 20 November, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) Legwaila Joseph Legwaila attended the EEBC meeting in The Hague as an observer.
Upon the SRSG's return to Addis Ababa on 21 November, he met with the current Chairman of the African Union (AU), Mozambican President Joachim Chissanó, and the Chairperson of the Commission of the AU, His Excellency Alpha Oumar Konare. They exchanged views on the peace process.
ADDIS ABABA, 21 November (IRIN) - Eritrea has recalled its Ethiopia-based ambassador Salih Omer from the African Union (AU) in protest over the unresolved border dispute between the two countries. Here Salih - who has been in Ethiopia since 1992 and AU ambassador since 2001 - tells IRIN of the implications for the three year-old peace process, and why the international community must continue to pressure Ethiopia to implement the stalled demarcation process.
ADDIS ABABA/NAIROBI, 20 November (IRIN) - Eritrea withdrew its Ethiopia-based ambassador from the African Union (AU) on Thursday in protest over the unresolved border dispute between the two countries.