Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- The Crisis Below the Headlines: Conflict Displacement in Ethiopia
- Eritrea-Ethiopia peace leads to a refugee surge
- Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Ethiopia - Round 13: September - October 2018
- Ethiopia Food Security Outlook, October 2018 to May 2019
- Ethiopia: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Afar Region, Round 13: September/October 2018 - Summary of Key Findings
This document provides an overview of developments in the Mediterranean Basin and other regions of interest from 05—18 February 2013, with hyperlinks to source material highlighted and underlined in the text. For more information on the topics below or other issues pertaining to the region, please contact the members of the Med Basin Team, or visit our website at www.cimicweb.org
Inside this Issue
In Focus 1
North Africa 2
Northeast Africa 4
Horn of Africa 5
Geneva, 28 February 2011 -- UNHCR High Commissioner for Refugees, António Guterres is expressing his concern for tens of thousands of refugees and other foreigners who may be trapped in Libya.
"There are no planes and boats to evacuate people originating from war-torn or very poor countries," Mr. Guterres said, urging governments to consider the needs of all vulnerable people and not just their own citizens. "Many of these people feel targeted, and afraid and have no resources."
Libya has traditionally been a transit and destination country for refugees.
GENEVA, June 8 (UNHCR) - The UN refugee agency said on Tuesday it had been told by the government of Libya to close its office in that country and halt activities.
Speaking at a press briefing in Geneva, UNHCR's chief spokesperson, Melissa Fleming, told journalists that UNHCR was hoping the closure would be temporary and that negotiations to find a solution were continuing.
08 Jun 2010 20:24:19 GMT
* 12,000 Middle Eastern, North African refugees at risk
* Libya says U.N. refugee presence on its soil illegal
(Updates with Libya foreign ministry statement in para 6)
By Jonathan Lynn
GENEVA, June 8 (Reuters) - Libya has ordered the U.N. refugee agency UNHCR to close its operations there, putting the future of more than 12,000 refugees and asylum seekers at risk, a UNHCR spokeswoman said on Tuesday.
The Government of Japan has decided to provide a total of 420 million yen for two projects of Grant Assistance for Underprivileged Farmers through the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Notes to this effect were exchanged on July 31 (Tue) (Japan Time) between Mr. Yuji Nakamura, Japanese Ambassador to Italy, and Mr.
The second week of our Presidency had a relatively light programme of work because of the UN General Assembly Special Session on Children from 8-10 May. On 6 May, the President gave an informal briefing to non-Members on the provisional programme of work for May. On 7 May, the UNSC held a public meeting on the issue of Children and Armed Conflict, one day prior to the General Assembly Special Session on Children. The UNSC mission to the Great Lakes Region returned on 7 May after spending ten days in the region.
The first few days of Singapore's Presidency were unusually busy, with intensive focus on the situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian Question. On 1 May we met in informal consultations even though traditionally the Security Council usually conducts bilateral consultations on that day. Over the next 54 hours, there were exhaustive and difficult discussions on the question of the fact-finding team to the Jenin refugee camp.