Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Change and Continuity in Protests and Political Violence PM Abiy’s Ethiopia
- Ethiopia: The 2018 HDRP is facing a US$416.4 million funding shortfall to cover needs until the end of the year
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- German Launches Special Training Initiative to Refugees in Ethiopia
New York (dpa) - The United Nations on Friday regretted the U.S. decision to withdraw its peacekeepers from U.N. missions in the Eritrea-Ethiopia border and Kosovo.
''We can confirm the U.S. decision to withdraw some personnel and we have taken note with regret'' said U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric.
Pentagon spokeswoman Lawrence Di Rita announced on Thursday that nine Americans were being pulled from two U.N. missions. He said two will be removed from the U.N. effort in Kosovo, while seven will be withdrawn from the peacekeeping mission in Eritrea and Ethiopia.
This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesman Kris Janowski - to whom quoted text may be attributed - at today's press briefing at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
1. On 15 November 2000, the Security Council, in an open debate, undertook a critical examination of how and why it decides to close a peacekeeping mission, or significantly change the mandate of a mission so that it enters a new phase in its operational history. In the course of the open debate, statements were made by all 15 Council members and 19 non-members, testimony to the great deal of interest generated by this topic (see S/PV.4223 and Resumption 1).
Representatives of Sierra Leone, Haiti, Rwanda, Ethiopia Among Speakers as Committee Continues Discussion of Panel Report
Delegates of several countries with experience of hosting United Nations peacekeeping missions addressed the Fourth Committee (Special Political and Decolonization) this afternoon as it continued its general exchange of views on the comprehensive review of peacekeeping operations.
Press Release GA/SHC/3617