Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- WFP Ethiopia: Food and Nutrition Assistance to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in East and West Hararghe zones - September 2018
Geneva, 28 February 2011 -- UNHCR High Commissioner for Refugees, António Guterres is expressing his concern for tens of thousands of refugees and other foreigners who may be trapped in Libya.
"There are no planes and boats to evacuate people originating from war-torn or very poor countries," Mr. Guterres said, urging governments to consider the needs of all vulnerable people and not just their own citizens. "Many of these people feel targeted, and afraid and have no resources."
Libya has traditionally been a transit and destination country for refugees.
GENEVA, February 11 (UNHCR) - Amid the continuing political turmoil in Egypt, UNHCR has been working through key partners to provide financial support and medical help to refugees in Cairo while UNHCR staff have been manning telephone hotlines from their homes.
On Thursday, UNHCR partner Caritas distributed financial assistance to 150 particularly vulnerable refugees in the Egyptian capital. The refugees collected their money from a branch of Refugee Egypt on the island of Zamalek located away from the main centres of anti-government protest in Cairo, and thus easier to access.
08 Jun 2010 20:24:19 GMT
* 12,000 Middle Eastern, North African refugees at risk
* Libya says U.N. refugee presence on its soil illegal
(Updates with Libya foreign ministry statement in para 6)
By Jonathan Lynn
GENEVA, June 8 (Reuters) - Libya has ordered the U.N. refugee agency UNHCR to close its operations there, putting the future of more than 12,000 refugees and asylum seekers at risk, a UNHCR spokeswoman said on Tuesday.
GENEVA, June 8 (UNHCR) - The UN refugee agency said on Tuesday it had been told by the government of Libya to close its office in that country and halt activities.
Speaking at a press briefing in Geneva, UNHCR's chief spokesperson, Melissa Fleming, told journalists that UNHCR was hoping the closure would be temporary and that negotiations to find a solution were continuing.
Extracted from UMCOR Hotline 25 Apr 2003
Extracted from UMCOR Hotline 18 Apr 2003
Extracted from UMCOR Hotline 28 Mar 2003
A major humanitarian emergency in Iraq could plunge millions of people facing food shortages in Africa further into crisis if world attention and aid efforts are redirected to the Gulf, says Christian relief and development agency Tearfund.
The second week of our Presidency had a relatively light programme of work because of the UN General Assembly Special Session on Children from 8-10 May. On 6 May, the President gave an informal briefing to non-Members on the provisional programme of work for May. On 7 May, the UNSC held a public meeting on the issue of Children and Armed Conflict, one day prior to the General Assembly Special Session on Children. The UNSC mission to the Great Lakes Region returned on 7 May after spending ten days in the region.
The first few days of Singapore's Presidency were unusually busy, with intensive focus on the situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian Question. On 1 May we met in informal consultations even though traditionally the Security Council usually conducts bilateral consultations on that day. Over the next 54 hours, there were exhaustive and difficult discussions on the question of the fact-finding team to the Jenin refugee camp.