Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- WFP Ethiopia: Food and Nutrition Assistance to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in East and West Hararghe zones - September 2018
The URL for the ITCZ information has been changed slightly. The new URL is: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/fews/ITCZ/itcz.shtml.
The Islamic Development Bank has approved US$ 650,000 as Emergency Relief Assistance allocated to drought stricken countries in the Horn of Africa ( Somalia, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea and Kenya) in addition to Malawi in South East Africa.
The amount, which will support the ongoing relief efforts in those countries where More than 11 million people were affected by the drought, will be disbursed as follows:
- US$ 150,000 Emergency Assistance to Somalia for water wells and purchasing food stuff.
- US$ 100,000 Emergency Assistance to Djibouti for purchasing food stuff.
- US$ …
Update of El Niño:
Update of El Niño:
ENSO-neutral or weak La Niña conditions are likely during the next 6-9 months.
[This report does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations]
JOHANNESBURG, 10 June (IRIN) - Although the United States and the United Kingdom have announced substantial funding for food aid programmes in the Horn of Africa, appeals for assistance in Southern Africa remain largely underfunded.
A US press statement noted that on 7 June President George Bush announced an additional $674.4 million in emergency aid funding for Africa this year, while British Prime Minister Tony Blair simultaneously increased emergency aid to Africa to a total of $300 million.
However, the …
The Programmes proposed in this paper come in the context of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture development Programme (CAADP) which has been endorsed by the African Heads of State and Government as a framework for the restoration of agriculture growth, food security, and rural development in Africa.
Effective national and international policies, anchored in an action plan adopted in 2001 in Brussels, could help meet the challenge of eradicating the hunger and poverty faced by more than 600 million people in the world's least developed countries (LDCs), a United Nations envoy has said.
Widespread drought has withered crops from Ethiopia to southern Africa. Nearly 38 million Africans will require outside food donations by early in 2003--or they will face starvation. Donating countries have promised less than half of what is needed to prevent widespread famine.