Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- UNICEF Horn of Africa Drought Situation as of September 2018
- Plight of refugees in Ethiopia brought to the fore in UNFPA leadership visit
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Refugee Girls Gain from Effort to Teach Life Skills
KINSHASA, June 18 (Reuters) - The bodies of nineteen Ethiopians who suffocated in the back of a Zambian container truck were discovered earlier this week by authorities in southeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a provincial official said on Saturday.
Read the full article
By Gordon Brown
Gordon Brown, U.N. Special Envoy for Global Education and former Prime Minister of Britain, writes that our failure to reach the marginalised is a result of universal development goals that do not explicitly target resources on the most vulnerable populations. Without corrective remedies, unequal outcomes in one generation conspire with unequal access to resources in the next to make a mockery of genuine equality of opportunity.
Marthe Van Der Wolf
January 18, 2013
ADDIS ABABA — African governments will implement a health scorecard to reduce child deaths on the continent. Delegates attending the African Child Survival Conference also set higher targets to bring down the child mortality rate.
Malgré tous les efforts – du reste payant - déployés par le gouvernement pour garantir la stabilité du cadre macroéconomique, la RDC demeure toujours incertaine sur le plan politique. Le risque d’explosion est permanent au regard des tensions récurrentes qui minent sa partie Est. Sur un classement publié par Global Peace Index, et rendu par Slate.fr, la RDC figure en 3ème position sur une liste de 10 pays les plus dangereux d’Afrique.
The UNICEF representative in Sudan, Nils Kasterberg, said that a two day workshop has been organized on child protection to provide a common platform for dialogue between the United Nations, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), civil society members and partners from neighboring Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The workshop aims to highlight child protection issues and discuss constructive methods on how to best address them.
- Slow progress on reducing world hunger
- Ranking of countries closely watched by governments
- Report does not yet capture impact of food price spike
- S Asia scores worse than Africa due to child malnutrition
- Democratic Republic of Congo has worst hunger score
By Roberta Rampton
DES MOINES, Iowa, Oct 14 (Reuters) - The world has made little progress in reducing hunger since 1990, a new report said on Wednesday, pointing to 29 countries with alarming levels of malnutrition, mainly in Africa and South Asia.
Those countries also are most vulnerable to the impact …
Cape Town - The annual report of the Africa Progress Report says that despite authoritarian and corrupt leaders, wars and coups, the overall trend in Africa is towards less conflict, more democracy and greater development.
Selected highlights from its 2009 report:
Progress in the areas of governance and education are mixed, with more democracy and access to education on the one hand, but coups d'etat and low school enrolment still …
By Frank Nyakairu
NAIROBI, Feb 22 (Reuters) - Enduring conflicts in east and central Africa have produced some 350,000 new refugees since October, worsening an already dire humanitarian situation, aid agencies say.
The region already hosts the continent's biggest number of refugees, but conflicts in Democratic Republic of Congo and Somalia are forcing many more from their homes.
"Multiple conflicts in the region have worsened the refugee situation in the region," said Hassan Yusuf, spokesman for the U.N.
Jan 18 (Reuters) - African countries have been asked to contribute troops to a peacekeeping mission in Somalia.
Uganda has said it will do so if parliament approves the move, South African President Thabo Mbeki and Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete have said they would consider sending troops, and Mozambique said it was training soldiers for possible deployment to the turbulent Horn of African nation.
Here are some details on peacekeeping in Africa.
African and Western diplomats are trying to rally a peacekeeping force to restore calm in Somalia …
LONDON, June 22 (Reuters) - Following is a summary of the major conflicts in Africa:
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
- Rwanda and Uganda invaded the former Belgian colony in 1998, saying they wanted to protect themselves from fighters who had fled to Congo after the 1994 massacre of 800,000 minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus in Rwanda.
- The five-year war sucked in six African nations and nearly 4 million died. The war was declared over in July 2003 after a series of peace deals.
Charles Cobb Jr., Washington, DC
KAMPALA, Oct 27, 2003 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- Uganda has now 1.3 million displaced people in the north and east, Minister of State for Disaster Preparedness and Refugees Amongin Aporu has said.
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (PANA) - OAU Secretary General Salim Ahmed Salim and the UN deputy secretary general, Louise Frechette, discussed Tuesday conflict situations and the spread of AIDS in Africa.
NAIROBI, Kenya (PANA) - The International Commitee of the Red Cross claims that international humanitarian law instruments in Africa are being ignored by countries which are signatory to the Geneva convention, hence aggravating large scale massacres on the continent.