Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Ethiopia: The 2018 HDRP is facing a US$416.4 million funding shortfall to cover needs until the end of the year
- Change and Continuity in Protests and Political Violence PM Abiy’s Ethiopia
- German Launches Special Training Initiative to Refugees in Ethiopia
JOHANNESBURG - The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a generous donation of R3 million (US$400,000) from the Government of South Africa, which will help the agency to feed thousands of hungry families in the Horn of Africa region.
"WFP is extremely grateful to the South …
As we mark World Food Day, we see no respite from the challenge the world faces to address urgent hunger needs. Natural disasters, wars, economic fluctuations, and the continuing impact of high food prices all make hunger an issue for a significant proportion of the global population.
WFP's mission of putting food in the hands of the hungry depends on the support of more than 100 nations. Consistently, the U.S.
WFP is currently feeding more than 14.5 million refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and returnees in some of the most dangerous and hard-to-reach parts of the globe.
In Pakistan, more than 2 million people have been displaced by fighting in the North West Frontier Province. In Sri Lanka, recent conflict has made more than 270,000 people homeless. And in Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, more than 130,000 people have fled fighting in recent months.
In Darfur, about 2.5 million people were displaced by the conflict since 2003.
Rome, 17 December 2008 - Facts, figures and the latest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies.
- Negotiations to resolve the conflict, between delegations from both the DRC Government and the Congrès National pour la Défense du Peuple (CNDP), which started on 8 December 2008 in Nairobi under the mediation of the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General (SRSG) for eastern DRC, Olusegun Obasanjo and former Tanzanian president, Benjamin Mkapa, will resume again on 17 December 2008.
Rome, 26 November 2008 - Facts, figures and the latest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies.
- Following discussions with MONUC on 19 November, WFP was able to dispatch trucks loaded with emergency food assistance for the villages of Komanda, Badia and Nyakunde in Orientale Province. More than 143 mt has been dispatched and distributed by CPs ADESSE and ADRA to more than 29,400 beneficiaries.
- Transporters in Bukavu do not have enough trucks to meet the desired dispatch total of 150 mt per day.