Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- Displaced Ethiopians, returnees need continued support
KINSHASA, June 18 (Reuters) - The bodies of nineteen Ethiopians who suffocated in the back of a Zambian container truck were discovered earlier this week by authorities in southeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a provincial official said on Saturday.
Read the full article
- Slow progress on reducing world hunger
- Ranking of countries closely watched by governments
- Report does not yet capture impact of food price spike
- S Asia scores worse than Africa due to child malnutrition
- Democratic Republic of Congo has worst hunger score
By Roberta Rampton
DES MOINES, Iowa, Oct 14 (Reuters) - The world has made little progress in reducing hunger since 1990, a new report said on Wednesday, pointing to 29 countries with alarming levels of malnutrition, mainly in Africa and South Asia.
Those countries also are most vulnerable to the impact …
By Frank Nyakairu
NAIROBI, Feb 22 (Reuters) - Enduring conflicts in east and central Africa have produced some 350,000 new refugees since October, worsening an already dire humanitarian situation, aid agencies say.
The region already hosts the continent's biggest number of refugees, but conflicts in Democratic Republic of Congo and Somalia are forcing many more from their homes.
"Multiple conflicts in the region have worsened the refugee situation in the region," said Hassan Yusuf, spokesman for the U.N.
Jan 18 (Reuters) - African countries have been asked to contribute troops to a peacekeeping mission in Somalia.
Uganda has said it will do so if parliament approves the move, South African President Thabo Mbeki and Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete have said they would consider sending troops, and Mozambique said it was training soldiers for possible deployment to the turbulent Horn of African nation.
Here are some details on peacekeeping in Africa.
African and Western diplomats are trying to rally a peacekeeping force to restore calm in Somalia …
LONDON, June 22 (Reuters) - Following is a summary of the major conflicts in Africa:
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
- Rwanda and Uganda invaded the former Belgian colony in 1998, saying they wanted to protect themselves from fighters who had fled to Congo after the 1994 massacre of 800,000 minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus in Rwanda.
- The five-year war sucked in six African nations and nearly 4 million died. The war was declared over in July 2003 after a series of peace deals.