Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Placing IDPs on the Map in Ethiopia and Beyond
- Multi-million-dollar project to construct schools in refugee camps and host communities launched in Ethiopia
- UNHCR Ethiopia Factsheet - November 2018
- Ethiopia: Historic reforms encouraging; country’s displaced must not be forgotten
- 700,000 people flee conflict to seek safety in Somali region of Ethiopia
The countries in eastern Africa have some of the highest poverty and hunger rates in the world. In a number of countries (Burundi, DRC, Eritrea, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi and Rwanda), the proportion of the population living on less than one dollar a day has increased since 1990.
Statistics April 2010
Total refugee population in Kenya: 387,372
- Dadaab 272,712
- Kakuma 69,414
- Nairobi 45,246 : 300 to 500 new arrivals a week Nairobi (majority Somali)
Country of Origin: Somalia; Ethiopia; Eritrea; Sudan; Great Lakes etc.
1.1 The Public Service Agreement (PSA) framework has changed for the period 2008-11. Thirty PSAs now reflect a collective set of the UK government's priorities.
1.2 The Department for International Development (DFID) is the lead department on PSA 29: Reduce poverty in poorer countries through quicker progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Special Committee on Peacekeeping Operations
162nd Meeting (AM)
As the Special Committee on Peacekeeping Operations began its 2001 session this morning, the Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations, Jean-Marie Guéhenno, said that the spirit of the Secretary-General’s recommendations before the Committee could be summed up in four words: "We can do better."