Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- 700,000 people flee conflict to seek safety in Somali region of Ethiopia
- The Crisis Below the Headlines: Conflict Displacement in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia - Council conclusions (19 November 2018)
- World Vision East Africa Region Situation Report | October 1 - October 31, 2018
- President’s Malaria Initiative: Ethiopia - Malaria Operational Plan FY 2019
As one of the three durable solutions for refugees, resettlement is often used when the other options - voluntary repatriation and local integration - are not available. UNHCR Khartoum has been working with resettlement countries to provide this option to refugees in Sudan, particularly those with specific needs.
There are criteria defined by resettlement countries and UNHCR for a refugee to be considered for this option.
JOHANNESBOURG, 18 décembre 2008 (IRIN) - Le prix élevé des vivres et l'instabilité persistante des marchés vont inciter le Programme alimentaire mondial (PAM) des Nations Unies à faire appel de plus en plus à des bailleurs hors norme, tels que la Chine ou le monde des entreprises, pour obtenir des fonds, l'agence ayant prévenu qu'elle aurait épuisé, d'ici à mars 2009, les fonds qui lui servent à nourrir des millions d'affamés aux points chauds de la faim à travers la planète.
Christopher Barrett, éminent expert de l'aide alimentaire qui enseigne l'économie du …
Rome, 17 December 2008 - Facts, figures and the latest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies.
- Negotiations to resolve the conflict, between delegations from both the DRC Government and the Congrès National pour la Défense du Peuple (CNDP), which started on 8 December 2008 in Nairobi under the mediation of the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General (SRSG) for eastern DRC, Olusegun Obasanjo and former Tanzanian president, Benjamin Mkapa, will resume again on 17 December 2008.
1.1 The Public Service Agreement (PSA) framework has changed for the period 2008-11. Thirty PSAs now reflect a collective set of the UK government's priorities.
1.2 The Department for International Development (DFID) is the lead department on PSA 29: Reduce poverty in poorer countries through quicker progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Each week, the World Health Organization Health Action in Crises in Geneva produces information highlights on critical health-related activities in countries where there are humanitarian crises. Drawing on the various WH- programmes, contributions cover activities from field and country offices and the support provided by WH- regional offices and headquarters. The mandate of the WH- departments specifically concerned with Emergency and Humanitarian Action in Crises is t- increase the effectiveness of the WH- contribution t- crisis preparedness and response, transition and recovery.
Rome, 26 November 2008 - Facts, figures and the latest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies.
- Following discussions with MONUC on 19 November, WFP was able to dispatch trucks loaded with emergency food assistance for the villages of Komanda, Badia and Nyakunde in Orientale Province. More than 143 mt has been dispatched and distributed by CPs ADESSE and ADRA to more than 29,400 beneficiaries.
- Transporters in Bukavu do not have enough trucks to meet the desired dispatch total of 150 mt per day.
Each week, the World Health Organization Health Action in Crises in Geneva produces information highlights on critical health-related activities in countries where there are humanitarian crises. Drawing on the various WHO programmes, contributions cover activities from field and country offices and the support provided by WHO regional offices and headquarters. The mandate of the WHO departments specifically concerned with Emergency and Humanitarian Action in Crises is to increase the effectiveness of the WHO contribution to crisis preparedness and response, transition and recovery.
Washington, DC -Thirty-three countries around the world have alarming or extremely alarming levels of hunger, according to the 2008 Global Hunger Index.
BUNIA, 3 October 2008 (IRIN) - The Congolese army has sent reinforcements to Ituri in the northeast after several attacks by suspected militia from the rebel Front de Résistance Patriotique en Ituri (FRPI), sources said.
"We have made all the necessary arrangements to repulse the militia," an officer of the Democratic Republic of Congo army, who requested anonymity, said.
MAG and CWMD - MAG uses the term Conventional Weapons Management and Disposal (CWMD) to more accurately reflect the range of munitions it encounters in support of stockpile management, as in many of its projects items outside of the SALW definition are dealt with, such as aircraft bombs, large calibre artillery, mortar ammunition and rockets.
MAG is currently undertaking CWMD projects in Burundi, Cambodia, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Iraq, Somalia and Sudan.
REFUGEE NEWS BRIEFINGS
1. ETHIOPIA: UN TO REPATRIATE 12,000 SUDANESE REFUGEES
On 21 September, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) announced that it would assist as many as 12,000 refugees from southern Sudan to return home next year.
In a public statement, the agency stated that nearly half of the 26,492 refugees in western Ethiopia have agreed to be repatriated to Sudan in 2009.
President George W. Bush signed the Senator Paul Simon Water for the Poor Act of 2005 (the WfP Act) into law on December 1, 2005. The Act requires the Secretary of State, in consultation with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other U.S. Government agencies, to develop and implement a strategy "to provide affordable and equitable access to safe water and sanitation in developing countries" within the context of sound water resources management.
- SQUEAC: Low resource method to evaluate access and coverage of programmes
- Methodology for a Nutritional Survey among the nomadic population of northern Mali
- Integrated Nutrition and Food Security Surveillance in Malawi
- Piloting LQAS in Somaliland
- Blanket BP5 distribution to under fives in North Darfur
- Animal husbandry and agriculture efforts toward programme sustainability
- Somali KAP Study on Infant and Young Child Feeding and Health Seeking Practices
- Fortified maize meal improves vitamin A and iron status in …
Highlights Growing Militarization of U.S.-Africa Policy
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 (Washington, DC) - On the anniversary of the establishment of the unified U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM), Africa Action today released its Africa Policy Outlook 2008, simultaneously published by Foreign Policy in Focus. This annual publication forecasts the key issues and developments in Africa policy in the coming year, and analyzes trends in U.S. relations with Africa under the current administration.