Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- Ethiopia: Investigate police conduct after deaths of five people protesting ethnic clashes
BRUSSELS - The Government of Belgium has announced a new €10.6 million (US$ 15.9 million) contribution to the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), capping a record year in which it donated a total of €26 million (US$ 37.6 million) to help fight hunger worldwide.
Belgium's 2009 donation is its largest-ever donation to WFP - more than 50 per cent higher than in 2008, when it contributed €18 million (US$ 24.7 million).
"Belgium has shown great solidarity with those who are less fortunate.
Rome, 13 January 2009 - Facts, figures and the latest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies.
- Tension remains high among residents in Ndjamena due to ongoing domestic fuel crisis in the country. In line with its reforestation policy, the Government of Chad imposed a commercial ban on charcoal and related products.
Rome, 24 December 2008 - Facts, figures and the latest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies.
- WFP needs to pre-position over 32,700mt of food to cover EMOP beneficiaries' needs for 5 months from July to November 2009.
Rome, 27 October 2008 - Facts, figures and the lastest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies.
An emergency response preparedness plan for UNHAS has been reviewed and updated. Seven WFP aircraft based in Sudan have landing clearances for Chad, and three of them for Cameroon. Cameroon clearances are expected for all seven by 1 November 2008. These aircraft will serve as backup assets for Chad in case of emergency evacuations. An Aviation Field Operation Safety Review (Safety Audit) was also conducted by the Regional Aviation Safety Unit from OMJ.
Rome, 8 October 2008 - Facts, figures and the lastest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies
- A budget revision to extend PRRO 10510 through March 2009, with additional resources, has been approved. This will allow WFP to design a new project for 15 months starting in April 2009.
- The request for an early budget release for EMOP 10559.1 has been granted to allow WFP to receive donor contributions. Through this EMOP, WFP will provide assistance to 250,000 Sudanese refugees, 185,000 IDPs and over 150,000 host populations in eastern Chad.
Rome, 17 September 2008 - Facts, figures and the lastest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies.
- The security situation is relatively calm throughout the country. However, armed robbery and inter-ethnic conflicts continue to be reported in eastern and southern Chad.
- September general food distributions to Sudanese refugees have been completed in 11 out of 12 refugee camps. Distribution is ongoing in the remaining camps of Amnabak. In the south Chad, WFP also completed general food distributions in three out of the four CAR refugee camps.
Rome, 6 August 2008 - Facts, figures and the lastest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies.
The August General Food Distribution (GFD) for Sudanese refugees has been launched on 5 August in the east. The August GFD will target a total of 245,100 refugees in 12 refugee camps.
In Shar (southern Chad), torrential rain has caused 4 deaths and left 16, 730 homeless.
WASHINGTON, DC - The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) on Friday welcomed major US government contributions for August totaling US$69 million, aimed at feeding people in seven countries confronting humanitarian challenges ranging from severe drought to civil conflict.
The latest donations, from the US Agency for International Development (USAID), bring total American contributions to WFP operations for the fiscal year to US$905 million. The United States is WFP's single largest donor.
High Profile Operations
Many high profile operations also face critical pipeline breaks in the next three months.
PRRO 10427.0 - Post Conflict Relief and Rehabilitation
January 06 - December 08
Shortfalls over next 6 months (mt)(1)
Rome, 4 July 2007 - In regions wracked by violence or submerged by floods, the first emergency is how to deliver enough food as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here are some of the crises counted among WFP's "global hotspots".
The security situation has been relatively calm throughout most of the country but has significantly deteriorated in the east over the past weeks.
On 22 June, a UN security meeting was held in Abeche.
NAIROBI - The United Nations World Food Programme has given a warning that it will have to cut basic food rations to refugees throughout eastern and central Africa unless immediate donations are received.