Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- WFP Ethiopia: Food and Nutrition Assistance to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in East and West Hararghe zones - September 2018
Key developments in Africa on the week of June 10th include the prevailing tensions in CAR, the spread of ethnic violence in Ethiopia, the insurgencies in the Sudans, and the political disorder in Uganda and Zimbabwe.
As Sudan has entered the final and most critical year of its post-war transition period, the other countries comprising the Horn and central Africa are on the alert. Southern Sudan's self-determination referendum, scheduled for January 2011, could result in partition of the country and may possibly prompt the resurgence of violent North-South conflict. In any case, the emergence of an independent South would have profound regional implications.
SIPRI Fact Sheet July 2009
- Close to 79 000 personnel were deployed in 19 operations in Africa in 2008.
- Personnel numbers in Africa in 2008 had increased by 14 % over the 2007 level and 400 % over the 1999 level.
- Almost a third of all operations worldwide and 42 % of all personnel were located in Africa in 2008.
- Operations were active in 13 African countries in 2008.
- The UN sent 70% of all peace operation personnel it deployed worldwide in 2008 to Africa.
- Personnel deployments in Africa were 21 % short of the authorized levels in 2008.
- Five …
The deployment of peacekeepers is increasingly becoming a reflex solution to crises, often in the absence of viable political agreements. The cluster of peace operations in the Broader Horn of Africa - stretching from Central African Republic and Chad, through Sudan, to Eritrea, Ethiopia and Somalia - epitomizes both practices. Moreover, though the conflicts in the region are deeply inter-linked, the peace operations there are not, nor do they form part of a broader regional strategy.
This map illustrates the total August rainfall accumulation for East Africa, derived from the CMORPH precipitation dataset at a spatial resolution of approximately 10km for this region, and was calculated using microwave and infrared data from geostationary satellites. It is possible that precipitation levels may have been underestimated for local areas, and is not a substitute for ground station measurements.
"A 2020 Vision for Food, Agriculture, and the Environment" is an initiative of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) to develop a shared vision and consensus for action on how to meet future world food needs while reducing poverty and protecting the environment.