Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- The Crisis Below the Headlines: Conflict Displacement in Ethiopia
- Eritrea-Ethiopia peace leads to a refugee surge
- Ethiopia Food Security Outlook, October 2018 to May 2019
- Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Ethiopia - Round 13: September - October 2018
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
This chapter provides a summary of the general environment in which UNHCR is operating in Africa and the organization’s planned responses in 2015. Mention is made of the two major emergency situations in the Central African Republic and South Sudan which have affected operations in many neighbouring countries and will continue to have a significant impact on UNHCR’s work in 2015 and beyond.
This document provides an overview of developments in the Mediterranean Basin and other regions of interest from 19 March – 01 April 2013, with hyperlinks to source material highlighted and underlined in the text. For more information on the topics below or other issues pertaining to the region, please contact the members of the Med Basin Team, or visit our website at www.cimicweb.org.
Inside this issue
In Focus 1
North Africa 2
Northeast Africa 4
Horn of Africa 5
Member States briefing on CERF planned for September
As part of a year-round effort to keep Member States informed on the use of the Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF), John Holmes, the Emergency Relief Coordinator (ERC), has invited the Permanent Representatives of all Missions in New York to a briefing on September 11th in the ECOSOC Chamber.
In this issue...
| CAP (P1-3) | CAP Mid-Year Review | Economic Crises' Effects on Humanitarian Needs & Response |Monitoring & Evaluation from current mid-year reviews | CERF (P3-4) | Funding for CEA Region by mid-year | Contributions to the CERF | OTHER FUNDING NEWS (P4) | New Financial Tracking Services Design |
For a Policy Framework on Pastoralism in Africa
African Union and the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Pastoralists across Africa have called for a continent-wide policy framework that will begin to secure and protect the lives, livelihood and rights of pastoralists across Africa.
Each week, the World Health Organization Health Action in Crises in Geneva produces information highlights on critical health-related activities in countries where there are humanitarian crises. Drawing on the various WHO programmes, contributions cover activities from field and country offices and the support provided by WHO regional offices and headquarters.
The mandate of the WHO departments specifically concerned with Emergency and Humanitarian Action in Crises is to increase the effectiveness of the WHO contribution to crisis preparedness and response, transition and recovery.
Note: Map production date estimated.
CROSS BORDER & REGIONAL HIGHLIGHTS
Long Rains in the Horn
As forecasted in March by the IGAD Prediction and applications Centre (ICPAC), the heavy rains expected in many parts of the Horn of Africa are ongoing. According to Somalia Water and Land Information Management (SWALIM), the water levels of rivers in Somalia are within the normal range expected at this time of the year. However, fears remain over the possibility of flooding in the Shabelle and Juba riverine areas as a result of increased rainfall in Ethiopian highlands.
In this issue:
- Meningitis epidemic across Africa
- Will the vulnerable populations in the Horn of Africa be facing floods once again?
- Lack of funds may force WFP to stop feeding refugees and pastoralists in Djibouti
- Uganda’s Karamoja region in humanitarian crisis
- LRA and Government of Uganda peace talks announced to restart 13 April
- International envoys in search for peace in Darfur
Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Integrated Regional Information Network for Central and Eastern Africa
Tel: +254 2 622147
Fax: +254 2 622129