Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Multi-million-dollar project to construct schools in refugee camps and host communities launched in Ethiopia
- Placing IDPs on the Map in Ethiopia and Beyond
- 700,000 people flee conflict to seek safety in Somali region of Ethiopia
- In southern Ethiopia, herders join forces to revive rangelands
- EU Desirous to Support Ethiopia in Fighting Human Trafficking: European Commission Official
The Regional Humanitarian Funding Update provides a quarterly overview of funding levels and trends in the countries of the Central and East African region (CEA) based on data reported to the Financial Tracking System (FTS)
The CEA region faces the greatest level of humanitarian need anywhere in the world.
Livestock, rain-fed crops at risk in pastoral, agropastoral areas of the GHA
WASHINGTON, DC - The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) on Wednesday welcomed US$29 million in contributions from the US government in November to assist refugees and other people affected by humanitarian crises in seven African and Asian countries.
"Consistent generosity from the US government enables WFP to reach the most vulnerable people who are struggling each day to feed their families." said Jordan Dey, WFP Director of US Relations.
Each week, the World Health Organization Health Action in Crises in Geneva produces information highlights on critical health-related activities in countries where there are humanitarian crises. Drawing on the various WHO programmes, contributions cover activities from field and country offices and the support provided by WHO regional offices and headquarters. The mandate of the WHO departments specifically concerned with Emergency and Humanitarian Action in Crises is to increase the effectiveness of the WHO contribution to crisis preparedness and response, transition and recovery.
The Regional Humanitarian Funding Update provides a quarterly overview of funding levels and trends in the 14 countries of the Central and East Africa region (CEA(1)) based on data reported to the Financial Tracking System (FTS(2)). The CEA region faces the greatest level of humanitarian need anywhere in the world.
LUWANI REFUGEE CAMP, Malawi, 26 October (UNHCR) - One of Malawi's two refugee camps officially closed on Thursday as a 32-vehicle UNHCR convoy pulled out soon after dawn with the last 660 refugees and asylum seekers, heading north to the country's remaining refugee camp.
"As of today, Luwani Refugee Camp is officially closed.
By Anita Swarup in Nairobi
Climate change is likely to be aggravating the chronic food shortages in many parts of Eastern Africa. In some countries, at 95% of the people depend on agriculture for their livelihood, most of it without irrigation. Erratic rainfall patterns continue to severely disrupt local food production.
"The drought has affected everyone," says Oscar Murengeratwari, a farmer in Burundi.
Berlin, 12th October 2007. Cuba and Peru in Latin America, Mozambique and Ghana in Sub-Saharan Africa, Indonesia and Vietnam in South Asia - these developing countries are all on the right path towards achieving the hunger-related Millennium Development Goals.
This report covers the period of 01/01/2007 to 30/06/2007 for 2006-2007 Appeal.
In a world of global challenges, continued poverty, inequity, and increasing vulnerability to disasters and disease, the International Federation with its global network, works to accomplish its Global Agenda, partnering with local community and civil society to prevent and alleviate human suffering from disasters, diseases and public health emergencies.
Programme Summary: Health and care programme: In the first half of 2007, the region experienced cholera, meningitis and Rift Valley Fever …
Prime Minister Gordon Brown, International Development Secretary Douglas Alexander, Ministers from developing countries and donor countries, and leaders from all of the major health agencies and foundations, are today launching a new international partnership that will help save millions of lives by helping build national health systems in some of the poorest countries in the world.
Seven 'first wave' countries in Africa and Asia will join the new International Health Partnership which is supported by donor governments and agencies.
The food security situation of a given country within the Greater Horn of Africa (GHA) is influenced by both national and external markets including the movement of people, produce, livestock, and consumer goods.
- summarises briefly developments during
the previous month in some 70 situations of current or potential conflict,
listed alphabetically by region, providing references and links to more
detailed information sources (all references mentioned are hyperlinked
in the electronic version of this bulletin);
- assesses whether the overall situation in each case has, during the previous month, significantly deteriorated, significantly improved, or on balance remained more or less unchanged;
- alerts readers to situations where, in the coming month, there is a particular risk of new or …
The Regional Humanitarian Funding Update provides a quarterly overview of funding levels and trends in the 14 countries of the Central and East Africa region (CEA) based on data reported to the Financial Tracking System (FTS)
The CEA region faces the greatest level of humanitarian need anywhere in the world. Out of the 15 appeals for humanitarian assistance launched to date, 9 were issued in response to emergencies in the CEA region.
- Dryness throughout much of western Burkina
Faso is leading to poor agricultural conditions and low water levels in
- Rainfall has increased substantially throughout much of Darfur during the past two weeks, though areas of seasonal dryness remain.
1) Severe drought remains over eastern Kenya as a result of the failure of the March - May wet season. Precipitation normally returns to the area in October.
CROSS BORDER & REGIONAL HIGHLIGHTS
Note: Map production date estimated
Sixty-first General Assembly
104th Meeting (AM)
It also Approves Record Budget for Field Operations In Move to Implement Secretary-General's Wide-ranging Reform Proposals
Soixante et unième session plénière