Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Mass Arrests, ‘Brainwashing’ Threaten Ethiopia’s Reform Agenda
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Ethiopia: The 2018 HDRP is facing a US$416.4 million funding shortfall to cover needs until the end of the year
- Change and Continuity in Protests and Political Violence PM Abiy’s Ethiopia
1) Since June, insufficient and poorly-distributed rainfall has led to large rainfall deficits across the Gulf of Guinea countries and has reduced maize yields in Ghana, southern Togo and in southwestern Nigeria. Although seasonal rainfall has increased during the second peak of the bi-modal rainfall season, below average thirty and sixty day rainfall totals have continued. Average rainfall is forecast during the next week.
Barbara Barungi, Kazuhiro Numasawa, Adeleke Salami and Adalbert Nshimyumuremyi
Global wheat production to increase in 2011
Cereal import bill in poor food-deficit countries rising due to higher international prices
23 March 2011, Rome - FAO's first forecast for world wheat production in 2011 stands at 676 million tonnes, representing a growth of 3.4 percent from 2010, the March 2011 edition of the Crop Prospects and Food Situation report said today.
Desarrollo comunitario, salud, alimentación, educación, sida y ayudas de emergencia son los principales objetivos de las ayudas aprobadas para distintas Cáritas de Africa, Asia, América Latina y Europa del Este
The paper develops indicators to look at the performance of the irrigation sector in Sub-Saharan Africa, where demand for food is high and irrigation has a proven potential to boost levels of agricultural productivity. By looking at six indicator categories-institutional framework, water resource use, irrigation area, irrigation technology, agricultural productivity, and poverty and food security-we assess the potential for improving performance in the agricultural food security sector through increasing irrigation sector investments.
Les travaux du Conseil d'administration se sont conclus à Rome
Rome, le 30 avril 2009 - Cette semaine, le Conseil d'administration du FIDA a donné un coup de fouet aux efforts d'éradication de la pauvreté dans neuf pays en développement grâce à l'octroi de plus de 131,57 millions d'USD sous forme de prêts et 63,62 millions d'USD sous forme de dons.
FEWS NET overviews
For an analysis of food security in Malawi, see the back page
ETHIOPIA: The Ethiopian National Meteorological Agency's re cently released forecast for the 2009 belg season suggests that rains will begin on time and perform well, despite earlier concerns about lingering La Niña effects. However, dry conditions persist in parts of northern Ethiopia, including North Wollo, meaning that a poor belg season could still occur in some areas.
Consolidated Appeals Process (CAP)
The CAP is much more than an appeal for money. It is an inclusive and coordinated programme cycle of:
(a) strategic planning leading to a Common Humanitarian Action Plan (CHAP);
(b) resource mobilisation (leading to a Consolidated Appeal or a Flash Appeal);
(c) coordinated programme implementation;
(d) joint monitoring and evaluation;
(e) revision, if necessary; and
(f) reporting on results.
Update of CPC Seasonal Outlooks at One Month Lead:
June-August 2006 Forecasts:
Gulf of Guinea Region:
There is slight tilt in the odds favoring above average rainfall along the Guinean coast from Cote d’Ivoire to Benin.
Update of CPC Seasonal Outlooks at Four-Months Lead: August-October 2006
Update of CPC Seasonal Outlooks at One-Month Lead: May-July 2006 Forecasts
Gulf of Guinea Region
The outlook shows a slight tilt in the odds favoring above average rainfall along the coast from Ghana to western Nigeria. There is a slight tilt in the odds favoring below normal rainfall along the western edge of Cote d’Ivoire’s coastline.
Northern Horn of Africa
CCA Guidance for East Africa Rainfall in Sep-Nov 2003 at One Month Lead