Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Plight of refugees in Ethiopia brought to the fore in UNFPA leadership visit
- Mass Arrests, ‘Brainwashing’ Threaten Ethiopia’s Reform Agenda
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
1) Since June, insufficient and poorly-distributed rainfall has led to large rainfall deficits across the Gulf of Guinea countries and has reduced maize yields in Ghana, southern Togo and in southwestern Nigeria. Although seasonal rainfall has increased during the second peak of the bi-modal rainfall season, below average thirty and sixty day rainfall totals have continued. Average rainfall is forecast during the next week.
FEWS NET overviews
For an analysis of food security in Malawi, see the back page
ETHIOPIA: The Ethiopian National Meteorological Agency's re cently released forecast for the 2009 belg season suggests that rains will begin on time and perform well, despite earlier concerns about lingering La Niña effects. However, dry conditions persist in parts of northern Ethiopia, including North Wollo, meaning that a poor belg season could still occur in some areas.
The White House Summit on Malaria
On December 14, 2006, The President And Mrs. Bush Will Host The First-Ever White House Summit On Malaria In Washington, D.C. The White House Summit on Malaria will bring together international experts; corporations and foundations; African civic leaders; and voluntary, faith-based and non-profit organizations. The Summit's goals are to raise awareness of malaria and to mobilize a grassroots effort to save millions of lives in Africa. One American with just $10 can help save a life in Africa. A school, a church, or a team can help save a village.
Update of CPC Seasonal Outlooks at One Month Lead:
June-August 2006 Forecasts:
Gulf of Guinea Region:
There is slight tilt in the odds favoring above average rainfall along the Guinean coast from Cote d’Ivoire to Benin.
Update of CPC Seasonal Outlooks at Four-Months Lead: August-October 2006
Update of CPC Seasonal Outlooks at One-Month Lead: May-July 2006 Forecasts
Gulf of Guinea Region
The outlook shows a slight tilt in the odds favoring above average rainfall along the coast from Ghana to western Nigeria. There is a slight tilt in the odds favoring below normal rainfall along the western edge of Cote d’Ivoire’s coastline.
Northern Horn of Africa
CCA Guidance for East Africa Rainfall in Sep-Nov 2003 at One Month Lead