Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Ethiopia: The 2018 HDRP is facing a US$416.4 million funding shortfall to cover needs until the end of the year
- Ethiopia: Agriculture Sector HDRP Monthly Dashboard (October 2018)
- Change and Continuity in Protests and Political Violence PM Abiy’s Ethiopia
Jeddah,14.12.2009: The Board of Executive Directors of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), which concluded its 263rd session at IDB Headquarters in Jeddah, approved new finances totaling US$ (504) million for development projects and technical assistance in favor of Benin, Kyrgyz, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Lebanon, Nigeria, Uganda, Bangladesh, Iran and Uzbekistan. A Technical Assistance Grant was also approved for the Regional Program for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA).
- 485 Epidemiological summary of pandemic influenza A (H1N1) 2009 virus – Ontario, Canada, June 2009
- 485 Virus de la grippe pandémique A (H1N1) 2009 – synthèse épidémiologique, Ontario (Canada), juin 2009
While donors had responded "remarkably generously" to United Nations consolidated appeals for emergency aid, they had nevertheless provided less than half of what was required this year to address the needs of people facing severe humanitarian crises around the world, the top United Nations relief official said today.
During a press conference at Headquarters today, John Holmes, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, announced that the $4.6 billion collected in response to the mid-year review of the consolidated appeals this past July was the highest amount ever, in …
The paper develops indicators to look at the performance of the irrigation sector in Sub-Saharan Africa, where demand for food is high and irrigation has a proven potential to boost levels of agricultural productivity. By looking at six indicator categories-institutional framework, water resource use, irrigation area, irrigation technology, agricultural productivity, and poverty and food security-we assess the potential for improving performance in the agricultural food security sector through increasing irrigation sector investments.
Point 72 a) de l'ordre du jour provisoire*
Renforcement de la coordination de l'aide
humanitaire et des secours en cas de catastrophe
fournis par les organismes des Nations Unies,
y compris l'assistance économique spéciale :
renforcement de la coordination de l'aide
humanitaire et des secours en cas de catastrophe
KIGALI, Rwanda - Experts in adolescent reproductive health from ten African countries converged here today to share information and harmonize programming that can improve the lives of young people.
The meeting was opened by the Minister of Health Dr. Richard Sezibera of Rwanda, a country whose extraordinary development progress in the last decade has confounded all expectations.
"Like other countries in sub-Saharan Africa, a majority of our people, are young... It only makes sense that our programming should focus on them," said the minister.
Point 42 de l'ordre du jour provisoire*
Rapport du Haut-Commissaire des Nations Unies
pour les réfugiés, questions relatives aux réfugiés,
Pandémie H1N1: L'OMS est très préoccupée par la propagation rapide de la pandémie qui a fait à ce jour plus de 700 morts dans le monde. Aucun décès n'a encore été noté dans notre Région mais le nombre des cas confirmés et des pays touchés augmente rapidement. Au 21 juillet 2009, un total de 174 cas confirmés avaient été notifiés dans 12 pays. AFRO maintient son appel aux états membres pour qu'ils intensifient la surveillance. Inondations: nous continuons de suivre les inondations dans les pays d'Afrique de l'Ouest en ce début de saison des pluies.
Each week, the World Health Organization Health Action in Crises in Geneva produces information highlights on critical health-related activities in countries where there are humanitarian crises. Drawing on the various WHO programmes, contributions cover activities from field and country offices and the support provided by WHO regional offices and headquarters. The mandate of the WHO departments specifically concerned with Emergency and Humanitarian Action in Crises is to increase the effectiveness of the WHO contribution to crisis preparedness and response, transition and recovery.
By Jean-Luc Martinage, IFRC communications officer, global health
More than 7,000 volunteers in 14 West African countries have been involved in major multi-country synchronized vaccination campaigns aimed at immunizing children against polio.
The disease has been re-emerging over the past few months, with outbreaks in several African countries, some of which had not reported a case of wild polio virus in over a decade. As of 2 June, the Global Polio Eradication Initiative had reported a total of 506 cases of wild polio virus throughout the world, including 423 in Africa.
- As the largest and most active international financial institutions (IFIs) and development finance institutions (DFIs) investing, lending, and providing advisory services in Africa(1), the African Development Bank Group, the Agence Française de Développement Group, the European Investment Bank, the Development Bank of Southern Africa, German Financial Cooperation (through KfW), the International Islamic Trade Finance Corporation, and the World Bank Group, are launching a Joint IFI/DFI Action Plan to respond to the Financial Crisis in Africa coordinated through the African Financing …
Les travaux du Conseil d'administration se sont conclus à Rome
Rome, le 30 avril 2009 - Cette semaine, le Conseil d'administration du FIDA a donné un coup de fouet aux efforts d'éradication de la pauvreté dans neuf pays en développement grâce à l'octroi de plus de 131,57 millions d'USD sous forme de prêts et 63,62 millions d'USD sous forme de dons.
FEWS NET overviews
For an analysis of food security in Malawi, see the back page
ETHIOPIA: The Ethiopian National Meteorological Agency's re cently released forecast for the 2009 belg season suggests that rains will begin on time and perform well, despite earlier concerns about lingering La Niña effects. However, dry conditions persist in parts of northern Ethiopia, including North Wollo, meaning that a poor belg season could still occur in some areas.