Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Placing IDPs on the Map in Ethiopia and Beyond
- Multi-million-dollar project to construct schools in refugee camps and host communities launched in Ethiopia
- UNHCR Ethiopia Factsheet - November 2018
- Ethiopia: Historic reforms encouraging; country’s displaced must not be forgotten
- 700,000 people flee conflict to seek safety in Somali region of Ethiopia
1) Since June, insufficient and poorly-distributed rainfall has led to large rainfall deficits across the Gulf of Guinea countries and has reduced maize yields in Ghana, southern Togo and in southwestern Nigeria. Although seasonal rainfall has increased during the second peak of the bi-modal rainfall season, below average thirty and sixty day rainfall totals have continued. Average rainfall is forecast during the next week.
A total of 6 634 cases and 646 deaths (CFR: 9.7%) were reported from 14 countries as at 11 March, 2012
Between January and 11 march 2012, a total of 6 634 meningitis cases and 646 deaths have been reported from 14 countries resulting in a CFR of 9.7% (Figure 1). Twenty districts from 9 countries experienced menin-gitis outbreaks during the period under review as indicated in the map.
Desarrollo comunitario, salud, alimentación, educación, sida y ayudas de emergencia son los principales objetivos de las ayudas aprobadas para distintas Cáritas de Africa, Asia, América Latina y Europa del Este
- 485 Epidemiological summary of pandemic influenza A (H1N1) 2009 virus – Ontario, Canada, June 2009
- 485 Virus de la grippe pandémique A (H1N1) 2009 – synthèse épidémiologique, Ontario (Canada), juin 2009
The paper develops indicators to look at the performance of the irrigation sector in Sub-Saharan Africa, where demand for food is high and irrigation has a proven potential to boost levels of agricultural productivity. By looking at six indicator categories-institutional framework, water resource use, irrigation area, irrigation technology, agricultural productivity, and poverty and food security-we assess the potential for improving performance in the agricultural food security sector through increasing irrigation sector investments.
Point 72 a) de l'ordre du jour provisoire*
Renforcement de la coordination de l'aide
humanitaire et des secours en cas de catastrophe
fournis par les organismes des Nations Unies,
y compris l'assistance économique spéciale :
renforcement de la coordination de l'aide
humanitaire et des secours en cas de catastrophe
Point 42 de l'ordre du jour provisoire*
Rapport du Haut-Commissaire des Nations Unies
pour les réfugiés, questions relatives aux réfugiés,
By Jean-Luc Martinage, IFRC communications officer, global health
More than 7,000 volunteers in 14 West African countries have been involved in major multi-country synchronized vaccination campaigns aimed at immunizing children against polio.
The disease has been re-emerging over the past few months, with outbreaks in several African countries, some of which had not reported a case of wild polio virus in over a decade. As of 2 June, the Global Polio Eradication Initiative had reported a total of 506 cases of wild polio virus throughout the world, including 423 in Africa.
- As the largest and most active international financial institutions (IFIs) and development finance institutions (DFIs) investing, lending, and providing advisory services in Africa(1), the African Development Bank Group, the Agence Française de Développement Group, the European Investment Bank, the Development Bank of Southern Africa, German Financial Cooperation (through KfW), the International Islamic Trade Finance Corporation, and the World Bank Group, are launching a Joint IFI/DFI Action Plan to respond to the Financial Crisis in Africa coordinated through the African Financing …
Les travaux du Conseil d'administration se sont conclus à Rome
Rome, le 30 avril 2009 - Cette semaine, le Conseil d'administration du FIDA a donné un coup de fouet aux efforts d'éradication de la pauvreté dans neuf pays en développement grâce à l'octroi de plus de 131,57 millions d'USD sous forme de prêts et 63,62 millions d'USD sous forme de dons.
FEWS NET overviews
For an analysis of food security in Malawi, see the back page
ETHIOPIA: The Ethiopian National Meteorological Agency's re cently released forecast for the 2009 belg season suggests that rains will begin on time and perform well, despite earlier concerns about lingering La Niña effects. However, dry conditions persist in parts of northern Ethiopia, including North Wollo, meaning that a poor belg season could still occur in some areas.
Each week, the World Health Organization Health Action in Crises in Geneva produces information highlights on critical health-related activities in countries where there are humanitarian crises. Drawing on the various WHO programmes, contributions cover activities from field and country offices and the support provided by WHO regional offices and headquarters. The mandate of the WHO departments specifically concerned with Emergency and Humanitarian Action in Crises is to increase the effectiveness of the WHO contribution to crisis preparedness and response, transition and recovery.
WEST AFRICA FLOODS
The UN has allocated US $ 3.5 mn emergency response humanitarian assistance to Mali ( $ 1 mn), Ghana ( $ 2.5 mn) and Togo ( $1.4 mn). The grants are from the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) created in 2006 by the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
In Ghana, the Flash Appeal requests a total amount of US$9,913,136.
The White House Summit on Malaria
On December 14, 2006, The President And Mrs. Bush Will Host The First-Ever White House Summit On Malaria In Washington, D.C. The White House Summit on Malaria will bring together international experts; corporations and foundations; African civic leaders; and voluntary, faith-based and non-profit organizations. The Summit's goals are to raise awareness of malaria and to mobilize a grassroots effort to save millions of lives in Africa. One American with just $10 can help save a life in Africa. A school, a church, or a team can help save a village.
Tunis, 29 September 2006 - The Netherlands today granted the ADB a grant of US$ 25 million to finance the Bank's operations in the water sector.
This contribution comes on the heels of the successful visit to the Bank and discussions held with President Donald Kaberuka by Netherlands Minister for Development Cooperation Mrs A. van Ardenne van der Hoeven in February 2006.
The grant agreement was signed in Tunis by the AfDB Vice President in charge of Infrastructure, Private Sector and Regional Integration Mr. Mandla Gantsho and The Netherlands Ambassador in Tunisia, Mrs.
Tunis, le 29 septembre 2006 - Les Pays-Bas ont accordé à la Banque africaine de développement un don de 25 millions de dollars pour financer les opérations de l'institution dans le secteur de l'eau.
Cette contribution intervient après une visite officielle fructueuse qu'a effectuée la ministre hollandaise de la Coopération pour le développement, Mme A. van Ardenne van der Hoeven en février 2006 à la Bad en février 2006, au cours de laquelle elle a rencontré le président de l'institution, M.