Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Plight of refugees in Ethiopia brought to the fore in UNFPA leadership visit
- Mass Arrests, ‘Brainwashing’ Threaten Ethiopia’s Reform Agenda
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
Following his visit to Mogadishu, international cooperation minister Ben Knapen today announced that the Netherlands will provide an additional 10 million euros in emergency aid to Somalia. ‘Somalia is at the heart of the crisis in the Horn of Africa. This is where help is needed most,’ Mr Knapen said.
The additional 10 million euros comes on top of the more than 15 million euros in humanitarian aid already pledged to the region, bringing the Netherlands’ total contribution towards fighting the crisis in the Horn of Africa to more than 25 million euros.
Development minister Bert Koenders is setting aside extra funds for emergency aid for three countries in the Horn of Africa to deal with the rapidly worsening humanitarian situation there.
'Conditions in these three countries [Somalia, Ethiopia and Eritrea] have deteriorated quickly over the past three months, due to a combination of rising food prices, drought and conflict. If we don't take action now, the result will be a humanitarian crisis,' said Mr Koenders.
The pledge of additional aid comes in response to a request by John Holmes, UN Under-Secretary-General for …