Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Ethiopia: The 2018 HDRP is facing a US$416.4 million funding shortfall to cover needs until the end of the year
- Change and Continuity in Protests and Political Violence PM Abiy’s Ethiopia
- Ethiopia: Agriculture Sector HDRP Monthly Dashboard (October 2018)
In 2011 over 11 million people in the Horn of Africa were hit by the worst famine in 60 years. In response SOS Children’s Villages set up emergency relief programmes in Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia.
SOS Children's Villages' relief work in the drought areas of Somalia, Ethiopia and Kenya is running at full throttle. Nevertheless, the worst is yet to come for East Africans suffering from the famine. For hundreds of thousands of children, it is a matter of life and death.
Help amidst the fighting
04/08/2011 - Charles Bury, SOS Children’s Villages’ strategy and management advisor and institutional partnership co-ordinator for East Africa, talks about the advantages of good long-term relationships, challenges to be dealt with and priorities that SOS Children’s Villages must address in the vast crisis in East Africa.
Although SOS Children’s Villages is - first and foremost - not an emergency relief organisation, it nevertheless has been operating in the affected countries for many years. What are the strengths of SOS Children's Villages in the overall relief effort?
14/07/2011 - Millions of people living in the Horn of Africa countries are threatened by famine, with hundreds of thousands of children in real danger. SOS Children's Villages is preparing for relief efforts in Somalia, Ethiopia and Kenya.