Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- Briefing note: Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) Ethiopia (August 2018)
The data table below is as of 22 January 2014
The first four cases wild poliovirus cases type 1 (WPV1) have been reported for 2014. All cases were reported from North Waziristan, FATA, Pakistan. North Waziristan is the district with the largest number of children being paralyzed by poliovirus in the world. As long as polio still exists in reservoirs like North Waziristan, the world will always be at risk of outbreaks.
Last week, 20,000 Rotarians from 160 countries gathered in Lisbon, Portugal for the annual Rotary International Convention. Rotary and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation announced an extension of their existing fundraising partnership that could generate up to US$525 million for polio eradication. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will match two dollars for every new dollar Rotary commits to polio eradication, up to US$35 million per year, through 2018. More.
In Pakistan, the WPV1 outbreak in Bara in Khyber Agency (Federally Administered Tribal Areas – FATA), is continuing. Seven cases have now been reported since end-April. This outbreak is the major WPV reservoir in all of Asia, and is threatening progress achieved elsewhere in the country and in neighbouring Afghanistan. See ‘Pakistan’ section below for more.