Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2019
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Teaching science and hope in an Ethiopian refugee camp
- Ethiopia: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Tigray Region, Round 14: November – December 2018 - Summary of Key Findings
- Ethiopia: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Somali Region, Round 14: November/December 2018 - Summary of Key Findings
- Multi-dimensional Child Deprivation in Ethiopia - First National Estimates
- Ethiopia: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Amhara Region, Round 14: November/December 2018 - Summary of Key Findings
Mozambique - IOM, in collaboration with the Government of Mozambique, will conduct a four-day training-of-trainers programme next week (9-12/9) in Maputo on improving protection assistance to migrants transiting the country.
Mozambique is a transit country for African migrants and asylum seekers hoping to reach South Africa. The majority come from Ethiopia, Somalia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Mozambique - En collaboration avec le gouvernement du Mozambique, l’OIM mettra en œuvre un programme de formation de formateurs de quatre jours la semaine prochaine (du 9 au 12 septembre) à Maputo, sur l’amélioration de la protection et de l’aide aux migrants en transit dans le pays.
Le Mozambique est un pays de transit pour les migrants et les demandeurs d’asile africains qui espèrent atteindre l’Afrique du Sud. La majorité sont originaires d’Ethiopie, de Somalie et de la République démocratique du Congo.
UNHCR OPERATIONAL HIGHLIGHTS
Upon the request of the Minister of Interior, UNHCR carried out a physical verification exercise in Maratane, Nampula and Maputo of asylum-seekers whose cases are pending endorsement by the Minister and submission to the National Eligibility Committee (CCR). In June, the CCR is to hold two sessions for the first time since 2012 to adjudicate cases of 843 persons.
In June, UNHCR together with IOM organized a National Consultation on Mixed Migration as a preparation to the 2014 MIDSA.
Posted on Tue, May-27-2014
Mozambique - IOM and UNHCR yesterday hosted a meeting with key stakeholders to discuss the national response to mixed migration challenges in Mozambique. The meeting was part of the preparations for the 2014 regional Migration Dialogue for Southern Africa (MIDSA) conference, which will focus on mixed and irregular migration.
NAMPULA, 14 September 2011 (IRIN) - Fahir Mohamed sold her gold jewellery to raise the US$1,000 fee for her and her husband to be smuggled by boat from the southern Somali port city of Kismayo to Mombasa in Kenya and then on to Palma in northern Mozambique. The couple had decided to flee their home in the southern town of Barawa and leave their three young children with Mohamed's mother, after an attack on the family by Al-Shabab militia.
"My plan was just to get peace and a life," Mohamed told IRIN. "We were just running from that fighting."
Mozambique has a democratic constitution and an estimated population of 22.4 million. President Armando Guebuza was reelected in October 2009 in a contest criticized by several national and international observers, including the EU and the Commonwealth, as lacking a "level playing field" and faulted for lacking transparency, integrity, impartiality, and independence.