Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Multi-million-dollar project to construct schools in refugee camps and host communities launched in Ethiopia
- In southern Ethiopia, herders join forces to revive rangelands
- 700,000 people flee conflict to seek safety in Somali region of Ethiopia
- Collaborative Action for Sustainable Peace, Gedeo–Guji peacebuilding forum | November 22, 2018 | Dila town | Ethiopia
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 68 | 11 - 25 November 2018
Les taux d’infection d’Ebola ralentissent au Liberia et se stabilisent en Guinée mais continuent d’augmenter en Sierra Leone. De nouveaux cas enregistrés dans la capitale du Mali, Bamako.
700 000 PDI enregistrés au nordest du Nigeria, dans les états d’Adamawa, Borno, et Yobe.
En trois jours consécutifs, près de 15 000 personnes fuient le Nigeria pour se réfugier à Diffa, Niger, suite à l’attaque d’une ville à la frontière.
Ebola infection rates slowing down in Liberia, leveling-off in Guinea, increasing in Sierra Leone. New cases reported in the Malian capital, Bamako.
700,000 IDPs registered in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe states in Northeast Nigeria.
Nearly 15,000 people fleeing Nigeria for Diffa, Niger, in three days after border town attack.
Over USD$11 million of humanitarian goods lost in Burkina Faso.
1,000 people evacuated after volcano eruption in Cabo Verde.
FAITS ET CHIFFRES
>1,1 milliard de personnes vivaient avec moins de 1 dollar par jour et 923 millions étaient mal nourris, avant même que les crises alimentaire, énergétique et financière ne commencent.
> Les prix alimentaires restent instables. Dans de nombreux pays, les prix locaux des aliments n'ont pas baissé, même si les prix ont chuté au niveau international.
> Lorsque les prix alimentaires sont élevés, les gens pauvres sont forcés soit de manger moins, soit de se rabattre sur des aliments moins chers et de moindre qualité, soit encore de renoncer aux dépenses …
FOOD CRISIS FACTS & FIGURES
> 1.1 billion people were living on less than $1 a day and 923 million were undernourished, even before the food, fuel and financial crises.
> Food prices remain volatile.
- The Bank expands its food crisis facility
to $2 billion to provide immediate relief to countries hard hit by food
- Since last May, the facility has approved $916 million worth of projects in 31 countries; with nearly half of the funds supporting projects in Africa
- The number of undernourished is now thought to exceed 1 billion
When word got out earlier this year that cash could be earned to clear garbage, hoe fields or hack brush near Banga in Bong County, Liberia, the desperate stampeded.
"People came rushing on us and we could not recruit them all," …
The Security Council voted unanimously today to extend the mandates of the United Nations peacekeeping missions in Eritrea and Ethiopia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Liberia, which would have otherwise expired at the end of this month.
DISCLAIMER: The following is a non-exhaustive selection of health-related events For a list of acronyms, please see the last page of this and WHO actions undertaken during the stated period in specific countries in update. which populations are experiencing crisis conditions. This has been compiled by WHO/Health Action in Crises (HAC/HQ), in consultation with relevant Country and Regional Offices.
Also Begins Discussion on Peaceful Uses of Outer Space
Fifty-eighth General Assembly
11th Meeting (PM)
Speakers highlighted the crucial role of Africa's regional organizations in resolving conflicts and called for greater assistance from the international community in that regard, as the Fourth Committee (Special Political and Decolonization) concluded its general debate on peacekeeping operations this afternoon.
This is a summary of what was said by the UNHCR spokesperson at today's Palais des Nations press briefing in Geneva. Further information can be found on the UNHCR website, www.unhcr.ch, which should also be checked for regular media updates on non-briefing days.
4538th Meeting (AM & PM)
Chair of Recently Established Ad Hoc Working Group Briefs Council
More than 45 speakers took the floor to express their views today, as the Security Council held a day-long interactive debate on issues related to the recently established Ad Hoc Working Group on Conflict Prevention and Resolution in Africa.
Press Release - SG/SM/7153 - AFR/177 - 19990929