Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Multi-Sectoral Intervention Vital to Accelerate Reduction of Stunting: Researchers
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 66 | 15-28 October 2018
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Karin Kneissl: "The goal is to alleviate the humanitarian emergency, to give the people prospects in their region"
As the worst drought in a generation ravages East Africa, a new agency assessment urges a strategy that goes well beyond immediate food and water assistance.
The assessment, conducted in mid-February in eastern Kenya and southern Somalia, recommends addressing the longer term causes of chronic food insecurity in addition to responding to the most basic needs.
"We can and should change the conditions that make these droughts and famines so cyclical," said Matthew Lovick, a Nairobi-based aid manager for Mercy Corps and co-author of the assessment. "That means improving …