Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Multi-million-dollar project to construct schools in refugee camps and host communities launched in Ethiopia
- Placing IDPs on the Map in Ethiopia and Beyond
- EU Desirous to Support Ethiopia in Fighting Human Trafficking: European Commission Official
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 69 | 25 November - 9 December 2018
- In southern Ethiopia, herders join forces to revive rangelands
Kenya is a republic with a population of approximately 40 million. It currently has a strong president and a prime minister with unclearly defined executive powers. There is a unicameral national assembly. In 2007 the government held local, parliamentary, and presidential elections. Observers judged the parliamentary and local elections to be generally free and fair. In the presidential election, the incumbent, President Mwai Kibaki, was proclaimed the winner by a narrow margin under controversial circumstances.
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Ronald Reagan Building
May 11, 2010
Thank you all. (Applause.) Thank you all very much. (Applause.) It is so very exciting for me to be here with you today, and we are honored to be joined by three First Ladies. I have, as you might guess, a really soft spot in my heart for First Ladies. (Laughter.) And you will be hearing from them later today, but if we could just ask them to stand- the First Lady of Mozambique, the First Lady of Sierra Leone, and the First Lady of Kenya.
The United States remains concerned about the humanitarian situation in the Horn of Africa, where drought is affecting as many as 16 million people this year. In particular, 7-8 million pastoralist herders and farmers in northeastern Kenya, southern Somalia, southern Ethiopia, and also Djibouti are facing severe shortages of water and food.