Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- WFP Ethiopia: Food and Nutrition Assistance to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in East and West Hararghe zones - September 2018
The IGAD Region has been prone to disasters with results of human suffering including loss of life, loss of livestock and other means of livelihood, slowed development and caused other economic costs. Until the early 1980’s, drought and other hazards were managed by crisis. The 1984 drought crisis in Ethiopia, Northern Kenya and North Eastern Uganda, is a case in point. This was rated as one of the worst ever recorded droughts in history, because of its duration, geographical spread and severity.
The partners of the IGAD Drought Disaster Resilience and Sustainability Initiative (IDDRSI), including Member States, IGAD, Development Partners, UN agencies, non-state actors (NSAs) and members of the private sector actors, committed to ending drought emergencies in the Horn of Africa, held the 3 rd IDDRSI Platform General Assembly meeting on 27 th March 2014 at the Hilton Hotel, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The meeting was opened and chaired by H.E. Hon. Dr. Gebregziabeher Gebreyohannis Minister of State for Livestock, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. The meeting was attended by Hon.
Work plan Harmonization for RLRLP cross-border project activities in the Karamoja Cluster June 29th – 4 th July, 2014
The IGAD team, in collaboration with the project preparation teams of the Regional Pastoral Livelihoods Resilience Project (RPLRP), from Kenya and Uganda held a Work plan harmonization workshop in Eldoret, 30th June – 4 th July 2014.
Efforts undertaken by governments and development partners to bring about peace, stability and development in the Horn of Africa have negatively been hampered by many natural and man made calamities that continue to be experienced in the region.
This was contained in a statement by Dr. Mutrif Siddik, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Sudan read by Ambassador Mahjoub El Basha at the beginning of the 5th Meeting of the Technical Committee on Early Warning (TCEW) yesterday at the Ministry's Conference Hall in Khartoum, Sudan.