Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Placing IDPs on the Map in Ethiopia and Beyond
- Multi-million-dollar project to construct schools in refugee camps and host communities launched in Ethiopia
- EU Desirous to Support Ethiopia in Fighting Human Trafficking: European Commission Official
- 700,000 people flee conflict to seek safety in Somali region of Ethiopia
- In southern Ethiopia, herders join forces to revive rangelands
A summary of news and reports from the field staff and interns of GHNI, Geneva Switzerland.
AFGHANISTAN: HELPING FARMERS TOWARDS SELF SUSTAINABILITY
GHNI’s Project Manager reports: “Oribigud Village was facing water shortages both for irrigation and household use. The line from the mountain spring to the village was broken and the water that ran through the channel was insufficient to reach the village in the fall. However, this water line was just fixed, bringing water to the village.”
BURKINA FASO: NEW VILLAGE TCD WORK LAUNCHED
En esta sexta edición del Anuario de Procesos de Paz se analizan los conflictos en los que se llevan a cabo negociaciones para llegar a un acuerdo de paz, con independencia de que estas negociaciones estén formalizadas, se encuentren en fase exploratoria, transcurran satisfactoriamente o, por el contrario, se encuentren estancadas o en plena crisis. También se analizan algunos casos donde las negociaciones o exploraciones son parciales, es decir, que no abarcan la totalidad de los grupos armados presentes en un país (caso de la India, por ejemplo).
This sixth edition of the Yearbook of Peace Processes analyses conflicts in which negotiations are being held to reach a peace agreement, regardless of whether these negotiations are formalised, are in the exploratory phase, are faring well or, to the contrary, are stalled or in the midst of crisis. It also analyses some cases in which negotiations or explorations are partial; that is, they do not include all the armed groups present in the country (such as the case of India, for example).
1. A significant increase in the numbers of persons of concern to UNHCR brought new challenges in 2006. While there was a 14 per cent increase in refugee numbers from the previous year, the Office's involvement, together with other humanitarian partners, in protecting and assisting internally displaced persons (IDPs) under the inter-agency cluster approach, resulted in a doubling of IDP figures. Thanks to better data capturing, many more stateless people have been identified, also swelling numbers.
Major Campaign to Get Girls into School in 25 Priority Countries
Unmet Needs Put Refugees at Risk
GENEVA -- The number of refugees of concern to UNHCR worldwide remained virtually unchanged at 12 million in 2001, with half a million people fleeing their countries during the year and nearly as many going home.
Mr. Vice-President, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen,