Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Multi-million-dollar project to construct schools in refugee camps and host communities launched in Ethiopia
- In southern Ethiopia, herders join forces to revive rangelands
- Ethiopia Marks World AIDS Day with Optimism Following New Report on HIV Care and Treatment Progress
- 700,000 people flee conflict to seek safety in Somali region of Ethiopia
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 68 | 11 - 25 November 2018
Foreword from the Chief Executive Officer
Authors: Steve Wiggins, Julia Compton and Sharada Keats
The issue of rising food prices came to international attention in early 2008. This document answers the following questions about the crisis and responses to it:
- What has happened to food prices and why?
- Why are food prices important & where can we find them?
- How have countries and the international community responded?
- The future
It was a pledge heard around the world. After a century which brought unprecedented gains in such areas as national freedoms and medical and scientific advances, but which also produced two world wars, the atomic bomb and unspeakable daily conditions for hundreds of millions of people, the world's nations decided there should be a better way of living together.
At the "dawn of a new millennium" 189 countries met in New York in September 2000 and agreed a United Nations Millennium Declaration, a sweeping document which pledged to erase the 'scourge of war', combat …
This bulletin provides information on price changes for the most commonly consumed staples and the potential impacts of these changes on the cost of the food basket. Staples contribute 40 - 80% of energy intake for the most vulnerable population groups in developing countries. Therefore, even a small increase in staple food prices has a high impact on overall food consumption, especially when the food basket is composed of very few staples.
The bulletin covers 60 countries over the period July to September 2009 .
This report covers the period 1 January to 30 June 2009
Programme purpose: In support of Global Agenda Goal 2, and Millennium Development Goal 4, liaise with global immunization partners to ensure the continued involvement of the International Federation and Red Cross Red Crescent National Societies in measles and polio supplementary immunization activities (SIAs) to increase uptake of services during both mass vaccination campaigns and routine immunization services and reduce global measles and polio-related morbidity and mortality.
- During the …
- 333 Global leprosy situation, 2009
- 333 Le point sur la lèpre dans le monde, 2009
Item 55 (a) the provisional agenda*
Sustainable development: implementation of Agenda 21,
the Programme for the Further Implementation of
Agenda 21 and the outcomes of the World Summit on
Domestic food prices in developing countries mostly remain much higher than before the soaring food price crisis despite a sharp decline in international prices since their peaks in 2008 (see special feature inside). This situation continues to give rise to concern for the food security of low-income vulnerable populations who spend a large share of their incomes on food.
FAO's latest forecast points to a 3.4 percent reduction in world cereal production in 2009, mostly on account of lower plantings and yields among developed countries.
RESULTS AT A GLANCE, FY 2008
- The United States obligated more than $1 billion in support of water and sanitation
- More than $815 million was obligated to improve access to safe drinking water and sanitation and promote hygiene in 95 countries worldwide
- Investments in all water and sanitation activities in Sub-Saharan Africa reached more than $648 million
- USAID's drinking water and sanitation for 7.7 million and 6.3 million people, respectively
The Senator Paul Simon Water for the Poor Act of 2005 (the WfP Act) was signed into law on December …
by IIEP and the CfBT Education Trust,
Education is a key factor in restoring normalcy and hope and in providing physical, psychosocial and cognitive protection in emergency situations.
However, few donors have humanitarian policies that explicitly include education from the onset of a humanitarian response.
This book gives an overview of the policies, strategies and financial commitments of the 23 influential Western donors that constitute the OECD in relation to education in fragile and conflictaffected states.
Il est essentiel de continuer à renforcer l'arsenal de protection des civils en période de conflit armé, estime le Secrétaire général de l'ONU, Ban Ki-moon, dans un rapport publié mercredi.
L'année 2009 marque le dixième anniversaire de l'inclusion de la protection des civils en période de conflit armé parmi les questions thématiques examinées par le Conseil de sécurité.
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called for more robust measures to protect civilians caught in the middle of armed conflict, noting the "appalling levels of human suffering" endured due to the failure of combatants to fully respect international law.
"Civilians still account for the vast majority of casualties and continue to be targeted and subjected to indiscriminate attacks and other violations by parties to conflict," Mr.
The number of people forcibly displaced by armed conflict and human rights violations remains record high.
AID BUDGET 2009/10
In the weeks leading up to the Federal Budget 2009/10, the Prime Minister and Treasurer described it as one of 'hard choices', one forced to run into a temporary deficit to support employment. The Treasurer also indicated that even though choices are hard, the Federal Budget would be a financially responsible and sustainable one.
This document has been drafted by the ACFID Policy Team to inform our members about the outcomes for Australia's International Development Assistance Program Budget 2009/10 (Aid Budget). We hope this document will assist our …
1. Le présent rapport répond à la demande formulée par le Président du Conseil de sécurité dans sa déclaration du 27 mai 2008 (S/PRST/2008/18).
2. L'année 2009 marque le dixième anniversaire de l'inclusion de la protection des civils en période de conflit armé parmi les questions thématiques examinées par le Conseil de sécurité. Comme souvent, en tel cas, il y a de quoi se réjouir mais on peut aussi revoir d'un oeil critique les progrès réalisés.
1. The present report is submitted pursuant to the request contained in the statement of the President of the Security Council of 27 May 2008 (S/PRST/2008/18).
2. The year 2009 marks the tenth anniversary of the consideration by the Security Council of the protection of civilians in armed conflict as a thematic issue.
This third annual Last in Line, Last in School report examines recent trends in donor support for education for children living in conflict-affected fragile states (CAFS) and those caught up in emergencies. Its broad conclusion is that, although donors have increased their focus on meeting the education needs of children in these countries and situations, there is still a long way to go.
La donación española de 29 millones de euros a Gavi Alliance contribuirá a acelerar las iniciativas en materia de vacunación en 72 de los países más pobres del mundo.
Esta mañana se han reunido en la sede de la AECID la Secretaria de Estado de Cooperación Internacional, Soraya Rodríguez y la Directora de la AECID, Elena Madrazo con el Secretario Ejecutivo de GAVI, Dr.
International efforts have failed to reduce the scale of internal displacement caused by conflict.