Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- 700,000 people flee conflict to seek safety in Somali region of Ethiopia
- The Crisis Below the Headlines: Conflict Displacement in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia - Council conclusions (19 November 2018)
- World Vision East Africa Region Situation Report | October 1 - October 31, 2018
- President’s Malaria Initiative: Ethiopia - Malaria Operational Plan FY 2019
Afghanistan most significant riser in global Peoples Under Threat 2011 survey
Afghanistan is the most significant riser in this year’s release of the internationally acclaimed global ranking Peoples Under Threat, which lists countries where communities are most at threat of mass killing, Minority Rights Group International (MRG) says.
Director of School for a Culture of Peace
?? In the Philippines, the MILF abandoned its request for independence for certain regions of Mindanao and instead agreed to create a sub-state or an autonomous republic.
?? In Kosovo, the International Court of Justice handed down a non-binding ruling that the 2008 declaration of independence did not violate either international law or United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244.
Sixty-fourth General Assembly
38th & 39th Meetings (AM & PM)
High Commissioner for Refugees Says Trends Causing Crises to Multiply; Means Humanitarian Action Operating in Difficult International Environment
Five "mega-trends" -- population growth, urbanization, climate change, migration and food, water and energy insecurity –- made contemporary forms of displacement increasingly complex, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees told the Third Committee (Social, Humanitarian and Cultural) today.
38e & 39e séances – matin et après-midi
Le Haut-Commissaire des Nations Unies pour les réfugiés, M. Antonio Guterres, a déclaré aujourd'hui devant la Troisième Commission qu'il importait de protéger davantage le personnel humanitaire et de lever les restrictions à l'accès de l'assistance humanitaire aux réfugiés et aux déplacés, de même que dans les situations d'urgence.
Korab Mula (27) from Albania lost his two arms and injured both legs when he stepped on a mine and then fell on another one in June 2000. With international assistance, he was fitted with conventional prosthetic arms, but they give him problems and he cannot use them which has caused him to feel dejected and depressed. Only with more advanced electronic prostheses, which are not available in Albania, does Korab stand a realistic chance to train up for a job, and even get married.
Dix ans après l'entrée en vigueur du Traité sur l'interdiction de l'emploi, du stockage, de la production et du transfert des mines antipersonnel et sur leur destruction (Traité d'interdiction des mines antipersonnel), la société civile, les États et l'ONU ont beaucoup fait pour mettre fin aux souffrances causées par les mines terrestres. Plus de 41 millions de ces mines ont été détruites. Des terres ont été déminées et rendues aux communautés.
BUREAU OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Office of the Spokesman
RESULTS AT A GLANCE, FY 2008
- The United States obligated more than $1 billion in support of water and sanitation
- More than $815 million was obligated to improve access to safe drinking water and sanitation and promote hygiene in 95 countries worldwide
- Investments in all water and sanitation activities in Sub-Saharan Africa reached more than $648 million
- USAID's drinking water and sanitation for 7.7 million and 6.3 million people, respectively
The Senator Paul Simon Water for the Poor Act of 2005 (the WfP Act) was signed into law on December …
Il est essentiel de continuer à renforcer l'arsenal de protection des civils en période de conflit armé, estime le Secrétaire général de l'ONU, Ban Ki-moon, dans un rapport publié mercredi.
L'année 2009 marque le dixième anniversaire de l'inclusion de la protection des civils en période de conflit armé parmi les questions thématiques examinées par le Conseil de sécurité.
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called for more robust measures to protect civilians caught in the middle of armed conflict, noting the "appalling levels of human suffering" endured due to the failure of combatants to fully respect international law.
"Civilians still account for the vast majority of casualties and continue to be targeted and subjected to indiscriminate attacks and other violations by parties to conflict," Mr.
1. Le présent rapport répond à la demande formulée par le Président du Conseil de sécurité dans sa déclaration du 27 mai 2008 (S/PRST/2008/18).
2. L'année 2009 marque le dixième anniversaire de l'inclusion de la protection des civils en période de conflit armé parmi les questions thématiques examinées par le Conseil de sécurité. Comme souvent, en tel cas, il y a de quoi se réjouir mais on peut aussi revoir d'un oeil critique les progrès réalisés.
1. The present report is submitted pursuant to the request contained in the statement of the President of the Security Council of 27 May 2008 (S/PRST/2008/18).
2. The year 2009 marks the tenth anniversary of the consideration by the Security Council of the protection of civilians in armed conflict as a thematic issue.
Save the Children hails progress on children's rights but warns of challenges ahead.
(May 19, 2009) - Save the Children, founder of children's rights, today celebrates 90 years of work achieving change for children around the world. In 2009, the aid organisation faces challenges of conflict and economic crisis similar to its beginnings in the aftermath of the First World War.
Today in Ethiopia 4 out of 10 children suffer from hunger.
International efforts have failed to reduce the scale of internal displacement caused by conflict.
The present report examines the challenges faced by the United Nations and its partners in providing professional mediation assistance to parties in conflict. It describes the need for experienced and knowledgeable mediators and support teams, with women adequately represented, and sufficient resources to provide assistance at an early stage to help parties design and pursue processes that will address the root causes of their conflicts, overcome obstacles that block progress, and achieve agreements that lead to sustainable peace.
Special Committee on
206th & 207th Meetings (AM & PM)
Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Welcomes Review Initiatives; Field Support Head Describes 'Stress and Stretch' of Huge Operational Demands
Although seized of new crises in Kenya, Georgia and the Horn of Africa, the bulk of the Security Council's work in 2008 involved pushing forward numerous initiatives it had authorized in the previous year concerning existing crises, including the deployment of innovative peacekeeping arrangements in the Sudan and the implementation of hopeful accords in the Middle East and various African conflict situations.
Sixty-third General Assembly