Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNHCR Ethiopia Fact Sheet December 2018
- Operational Plan for Rapid Response: Internal Displacement around Kamashi and Assosa (Benishangul Gumuz) and East and West Wollega (Oromia), 26 December 2018
- UNHCR Ethiopia - Operational Update (December 2018)
- Ethiopia: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Tigray Region, Round 14: November – December 2018 - Summary of Key Findings
- Ethiopia: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Somali Region, Round 14: November/December 2018 - Summary of Key Findings
This report presents the results of an independent, three-year evaluation of a pilot project intended to improve access to and the quality of lower secondary education in Ethiopia through the use of resultsbased aid (RBA), an innovative approach to development. RBA is an aid partnership between a donor and a recipient government in which the disbursement of aid is tied to results achieved rather than activities completed or outputs produced. The amount of aid provided is directly related to the magnitude of the outcomes achieved.
With the implementation of the first year of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) 2015–2018 strategy, for the IOM programing cycle, we are delighted to share with you the highlights of our development work in Zimbabwe.
Alors que des soldats de la paix, des fonctionnaires de police, des entrepreneurs du secteur privé et d’autres membres de la communauté internationale étaient déployés en Bosnie-Herzégovine et au Kosovo sous administration des Nations Unies (résolution 1244 du Conseil de sécurité) pendant les guerres qui ont sévi dans les Balkans occidentaux de 1992 à 1999, la prostitution, qui était un commerce local à petite échelle entre les mains de réseaux criminels organisés, est devenue une industrie florissante.
Annual Report: relief aid tripled in 2015
In 2015, Dorcas helped 373,375 people in emergency situations, which is more than three times as many people as last year. Many of these people were displaced because of the earthquake in Nepal, others were refugees from Syria and Iraq and there were many who fled because of the turmoil in eastern Ukraine. You can read all the details in our recently released annual report. Dorcas is thankful for all the donations and funds that made all of this possible.
Purpose of the Evaluation and Questions Addressed
Chronic violence and instability in the Horn of Africa have spurred major investments in resilience in the hopes of preventing future humanitarian crises. Yet how best to build resilience in conflict contexts remains unclear. Mercy Corps began tackling these issues through previous research that demonstrated that peacebuilding interventions can have positive effects on pastoralists’ abilities to cope with and adapt to severe drought.
We never have someone talking to us about these things!
Knowledge Is Power
UNHCR Sub-Office Melkadida initiated an innovative pilot project, the IDEAS BOX, a multi-media library, for Somali refugee children and youth. The project is implemented by Save the Children and Libraries without Borders, in coordination with UNHCR Innovation Unit at HQs. It is facilitated by ARRA in Bokolmanyo and Melkadida camps. This novel project is the first in the East and Horn of Africa region where the project is replicated.
- 1,696,962 internally displaced people
- 643,046 South Sudanese refugees in neighboring countries
- 263,000 refugees in South Sudan
- 20,694 refugee new arrivals in South Sudan
- 10 refugee camps
- 6 UNMISS Protection of Civilians sites for IDPs
- $116,275,632 in funding received by UNHCR (28% of the budget required for comprehensive needs)
This paper explores how the overlap of a double marginalized identity produces particular disadvantages for pastoralist women in Ethiopia, and how an Oxfam intervention in the Somali region is addressing the connection between these disadvantages and poverty and power.
The Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy recently released its annual report covering research and activities progress over the past year. The overall goal of the FSP program is to promote inclusive agricultural productivity growth, improved nutritional outcomes, and enhanced livelihood resilience for men and women through improved policy environments. The goal will be achieved by fostering credible, inclusive, transparent and sustainable policy processes at country and regional levels and filling critical policy evidence gaps.
1. Executive Summary
• In December 2015, the overall year-on-year inflation rate was 10%; the food inflation rate was higher, at12.1%. Non-food inflation rate stood at 7.7. Regionally, there were wide disparities: the highest inflation rate was recorded in Afar (15.6%), followed by Addis Ababa and Oromia (12.5%), Gambella (12.4%) and the lowest inflation rate was in SNNP (5.4%).
On 10 December, the Task Force on Population Movement (TFPM), led by UNHCR and IOM, validated in its 6th report that there are 2,509,062 internally displaced persons in Yemen.
UNHCR participated in a mission to Ibb from 14 to 31 December, which focused on developing the capacity of partners in Ibb, including trainings on needs assessment, vulnerability criteria, distribution methodologies and post distribution monitoring.
PRMN is a UNHCR-led trend analysis project that aims to monitor movements of displaced populations into and within Somalia. On behalf of UNHCR, NRC and 37 local partners in the field in Somalia (South Central regions, Puntland and Somaliland) are collecting data through interviews with refugee and IDP returnees, and with IDPs and host communities conducted at strategic locations along travel routes. Reports are verified and published by UNHCR to broaden insight into movement trends for analytical and programmatic purposes.
30,202 Arrivals from Yemen since 27 March 2015
6,164 Refugee returnees from Kenya since 8 December 2014
86,793 Evictions in Mogadishu since January 2015
296,024 New displacements since January 2015
WORKING WITH PARTNERS