Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia: Investigate police conduct after deaths of five people protesting ethnic clashes
- Displaced Ethiopians, returnees need continued support
- 23 Killed in Ethnic Violence Near Addis Ababa
- WFP Ethiopia: Food and Nutrition Assistance to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in East and West Hararghe zones - September 2018
1) Since June, insufficient and poorly-distributed rainfall has led to large rainfall deficits across the Gulf of Guinea countries and has reduced maize yields in Ghana, southern Togo and in southwestern Nigeria. Although seasonal rainfall has increased during the second peak of the bi-modal rainfall season, below average thirty and sixty day rainfall totals have continued. Average rainfall is forecast during the next week.
DAKAR, 22 novembre 2012 (IRIN) - Les travailleurs de la santé, qui vaccinent actuellement des milliers d'enfants et de jeunes adultes contre la méningite A au Bénin, le font désormais sans passer des jours à préparer des accumulateurs de froid, des glacières et des réfrigérateurs pour les charger dans des camions, car le vaccin a reçu l'autorisation d'être stocké à une température maximale de 40 °C pendant quatre jours maximum.
DAKAR, 20 November 2012 (IRIN) - Health workers currently immunizing thousands of children and young adults against Meningitis A in Benin are currently doing so without having to spend days preparing ice packs and sourcing generators and fridges to load on trucks because the vaccine has now won approval for being kept at up to 40 degrees Celsius for as long as four days.
Before, like almost all vaccines, the Meningitis A vaccine (marketed in Africa as MenAfricVac) was only licensed for use if kept at temperatures of 2-8 degrees Celsius.
A total of 6 634 cases and 646 deaths (CFR: 9.7%) were reported from 14 countries as at 11 March, 2012
Between January and 11 march 2012, a total of 6 634 meningitis cases and 646 deaths have been reported from 14 countries resulting in a CFR of 9.7% (Figure 1). Twenty districts from 9 countries experienced menin-gitis outbreaks during the period under review as indicated in the map.
Barbara Barungi, Kazuhiro Numasawa, Adeleke Salami and Adalbert Nshimyumuremyi
Global wheat production to increase in 2011
Cereal import bill in poor food-deficit countries rising due to higher international prices
23 March 2011, Rome - FAO's first forecast for world wheat production in 2011 stands at 676 million tonnes, representing a growth of 3.4 percent from 2010, the March 2011 edition of the Crop Prospects and Food Situation report said today.
The major concerns in the region are political instabilities in Guinea and Niger as well as the floods in Benin. In addition there are several foci of outbreaks of diseases especially cholera.
Les principales préoccupations de la région sont l'instabilité politique en Guinée et au Niger ainsi que les inondations au Bénin. De plus, il existe plusieurs foyers d'épidémies notamment le choléra.
- Malaria still kills about 850,000 people in Africa each year
- Anti-malaria efforts play a role in economic growth and poverty reduction
- The World Bank, through IDA, is directly supporting countries and catalyzing investment
WASHINGTON, October 7, 2010-Sub-Saharan Africa has made much progress against malaria in recent years, but this preventable and treatable disease still kills about 850,000 people in the region each year. Victory against malaria requires sustained funding, expanded prevention, stronger national and regional health systems, and continued research.
As political leaders across Africa prepare for the World Cup education summit scheduled for 11 July in Pretoria, UNESCO warns that shortfalls in aid threaten to derail efforts to get the region's 32 million out-of-school children into classrooms.
The education summit, convened by President Jacob Zuma, marks a culmination in efforts led by the 1Goal campaign and FIFA to push Africa's education crisis up the international agenda. That crisis is holding back economic growth, poverty reduction and progress in areas such as public health.
Day of the African Child 2010: Theme is planning and budgeting for children, our collective responsibility
NEW YORK/ADDIS ABABA, 16 June 2010 - Many of the millions of African children who don't live to see their fifth birthday could be saved with greater investment in basic health services and infrastructure.
Desarrollo comunitario, salud, alimentación, educación, sida y ayudas de emergencia son los principales objetivos de las ayudas aprobadas para distintas Cáritas de Africa, Asia, América Latina y Europa del Este
La situation socio politique en Côte d'Ivoire a été marquée cette semaine par une explosion de violence dans plusieurs villes du pays. Ceci est le résultat de débats entre l'opposition et le groupe présidentiel suite à la dissolution la semaine dernière du Gouvernement et de la Commission Electorale Indépendante par le Président. L'insécurité à l'est de la RDC n'a pas changé. En plus de cela, on note la persistance des crises habituelles y compris les épidémies.
Insecurity in Eastern DRC and the escalating social and political atmosphere in Côte d'Ivoire are retaining our attention this week. In addition, the usual crises including several disease outbreaks are ongoing. Member states are receiving support from WHO for response mainly through the Health Clusters.
Jeddah,14.12.2009: The Board of Executive Directors of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), which concluded its 263rd session at IDB Headquarters in Jeddah, approved new finances totaling US$ (504) million for development projects and technical assistance in favor of Benin, Kyrgyz, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Lebanon, Nigeria, Uganda, Bangladesh, Iran and Uzbekistan. A Technical Assistance Grant was also approved for the Regional Program for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA).
- 485 Epidemiological summary of pandemic influenza A (H1N1) 2009 virus – Ontario, Canada, June 2009
- 485 Virus de la grippe pandémique A (H1N1) 2009 – synthèse épidémiologique, Ontario (Canada), juin 2009