Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2019
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Multi-dimensional Child Deprivation in Ethiopia - First National Estimates
- Ethiopia: 3W - Agriculture Cluster Ongoing Activities Map (as of November 2018)
- UNHCR welcomes Ethiopia law granting more rights to refugees
- Ethiopia: 3W - WASH Cluster Ongoing and Planned Activities map (as of November 2018)
- Ethiopia: 3W - Protection Cluster Ongoing Activities Map (as of November 2018)
Sixty-fourth General Assembly
38th & 39th Meetings (AM & PM)
High Commissioner for Refugees Says Trends Causing Crises to Multiply; Means Humanitarian Action Operating in Difficult International Environment
Five "mega-trends" -- population growth, urbanization, climate change, migration and food, water and energy insecurity –- made contemporary forms of displacement increasingly complex, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees told the Third Committee (Social, Humanitarian and Cultural) today.
El estado de la inseguridad alimentaria en el mundo 2009 es el 10.=BA informe de situación de la FAO sobre el hambre en el mundo desde la Cumbre Mundial sobre la Alimentación (CMA) de 1996. En el informe se destaca el hecho de que, incluso antes de que se produjeran la crisis alimentaria y la crisis económica, el n=FAmero de personas que padecían hambre había aumentado lenta pero constantemente.
Sixty-fourth General Assembly
16th & 17th Meetings (AM & PM)
Hears from Some 55 More Speakers, as Three-Day Debate on Promotion, Protection of the Rights of the Child Concludes
Capping its three-day discussion on the promotion and protection of the rights of the child, members of the Third Committee (Social, Cultural and Humanitarian) discussed national programmes to nurture young citizens, saying the credibility of States "rested in their work for future generations".
Sixty-fourth General Assembly
5th & 6th Meetings (AM & PM)
To effectively tackle terrorism, entrenched poverty and the threat of weapons proliferation, a more equitable multilateral system that valued diversity and fostered a "climate of dialogue" was urgently needed, world leaders attending the General Assembly's annual debate stressed today, as they pushed for a more democratic United Nations.
Item 72 (a) of the provisional agenda
Strengthening of the coordination of humanitarian and
disaster relief assistance of the United Nations, including
special economic assistance: strengthening of the coordination
In 2008, armed conflicts and other situations of violence shattered the lives of large numbers of children, women and men in many countries among which the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Georgia, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka, the Philippines, Chad and Colombia. Direct attacks on civilian communities, general insecurity and the destruction of livelihoods forced innumerable civilians to flee their homes.
Despite recent changes in US policy towards the Islamic world, the latest annual global listing of Peoples Under Threat has seen the threat level rise further for communities in Muslim countries affected by international and civil conflicts.
Every year Minority Rights Group International publishes Peoples Under Threat, identifying those groups or peoples around the world most at risk of genocide, mass killing or other systematic violent repression.
Despite changes in the US approach to the Muslim world, civilian populations are at greater risk than ever before in countries at the frontline of the war against terrorism, Minority Rights Group International (MRG) says as it launches its annual global 'Peoples Under Threat' ranking.
Both Muslim and non-Muslim minorities are at growing risk in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Somalia and Yemen, and the threat is also rising in Ethiopia and Eritrea, the ranking show.
'The rhetoric of the "war …
Foreword: A year of challenges
It is my pleasure to present to you the 2008 Annual Report for the United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF).
For the millions of people affected by natural disasters and conflict worldwide, 2008 was a year of enormous challenges. More than 211 million people were affected by natural disasters, with more than 238,000 killed and US$200 billion in damages, making 2008 one of the most devastating years in terms of human and material losses.
Il est essentiel de continuer à renforcer l'arsenal de protection des civils en période de conflit armé, estime le Secrétaire général de l'ONU, Ban Ki-moon, dans un rapport publié mercredi.
L'année 2009 marque le dixième anniversaire de l'inclusion de la protection des civils en période de conflit armé parmi les questions thématiques examinées par le Conseil de sécurité.
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called for more robust measures to protect civilians caught in the middle of armed conflict, noting the "appalling levels of human suffering" endured due to the failure of combatants to fully respect international law.
"Civilians still account for the vast majority of casualties and continue to be targeted and subjected to indiscriminate attacks and other violations by parties to conflict," Mr.
1. Le présent rapport répond à la demande formulée par le Président du Conseil de sécurité dans sa déclaration du 27 mai 2008 (S/PRST/2008/18).
2. L'année 2009 marque le dixième anniversaire de l'inclusion de la protection des civils en période de conflit armé parmi les questions thématiques examinées par le Conseil de sécurité. Comme souvent, en tel cas, il y a de quoi se réjouir mais on peut aussi revoir d'un oeil critique les progrès réalisés.
1. The present report is submitted pursuant to the request contained in the statement of the President of the Security Council of 27 May 2008 (S/PRST/2008/18).
2. The year 2009 marks the tenth anniversary of the consideration by the Security Council of the protection of civilians in armed conflict as a thematic issue.
ICRC News Release No. 09/109
Geneva (ICRC) - Millions of people affected by armed conflict have become more vulnerable because of the combined effects of war, natural disasters and continued high food prices, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said today.
Sixty-third General Assembly GA/AB/3904
La donación española de 29 millones de euros a Gavi Alliance contribuirá a acelerar las iniciativas en materia de vacunación en 72 de los países más pobres del mundo.
Esta mañana se han reunido en la sede de la AECID la Secretaria de Estado de Cooperación Internacional, Soraya Rodríguez y la Directora de la AECID, Elena Madrazo con el Secretario Ejecutivo de GAVI, Dr.
International efforts have failed to reduce the scale of internal displacement caused by conflict.
The present report examines the challenges faced by the United Nations and its partners in providing professional mediation assistance to parties in conflict. It describes the need for experienced and knowledgeable mediators and support teams, with women adequately represented, and sufficient resources to provide assistance at an early stage to help parties design and pursue processes that will address the root causes of their conflicts, overcome obstacles that block progress, and achieve agreements that lead to sustainable peace.