Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- Ethiopia: Some 1,786 Displaced Persons Return Home
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia: West Guji Zone - Ongoing Humanitarian Activities Overview (as of 15 Sep 2018)
- Displaced Ethiopians, returnees need continued support
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.
I have just returned from Eastern Sudan which, as you know, is the centre of one of the longest standing refugee situations in Africa. The East epitomizes this country's long history of hosting refugees. It is a tribute to both the Government of Sudan and the people of the Eastern region, who share land and natural resources with refugees who have nowhere else to go.
I visited Wad Sharifey, Shagarab and Kilo 26 refugee camps.
UNMIS HQ, Khartoum
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen of the media.
I thank you for making the time to come to this briefing, and I thank my colleagues at UNMIS for all the good work of organizing it.
I arrived in Sudan one month ago and have had the opportunity-over the past few weeks-to visit UNHCR operations in the East, in Darfur and in Southern Sudan.
Whilst we count on the Government of National Unity and the Government of South Sudan to make every effort towards reconciliation and recovery, the international community has a key role to play in supporting …
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees concludes visit to Sudan
In a press release issued on 27 April, the UNHCR announced that High Commissioner António Guterres wrapped up his mission to Sudan with a visit to Kassala State, in eastern Sudan, which hosts about 136,000 refugees from Eritrea and Ethiopia. The objective of the visit was for Mr. Guterres "to see for himself one of the most forgotten refugee situations in the world", the UNHCR said.
Addressing local authorities and government representatives in Kassala, Mr.
Following is a near-verbatim transcript of today's weekly briefing (12:30PM) by Radhia Achouri, Spokesperson for the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Sudan: