Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia: Investigate police conduct after deaths of five people protesting ethnic clashes
- 23 Killed in Ethnic Violence Near Addis Ababa
- Displaced Ethiopians, returnees need continued support
- Ethiopia tops global list of highest internal displacement in 2018
Epidemic prone diseases remain to be serious public health threats to Mem- ber States in the African region. In response to these threats, Member States through the adoption and implementation of the Integrated Diseases Surveil- lance and Response Strategy and the International Health Regulations, con- tinue to strengthen their public health emergency response systems and struc- tures. In this issue, a summary of acute public health events that occurred dur- ing the course of 2014 is provided
In this issue:
Conseil de sécurité
6108e séance – matin & après-midi
Le Conseil de sécurité, au terme d'un débat qui a rassemblé aujourd'hui une quarantaine de pays, a souligné l'importance des initiatives prises par le Secrétaire général, M. Ban Ki-moon, pour « promouvoir la médiation et régler pacifiquement les différends ».
MONROVIA, Feb 27 (Reuters) - A study in West Africa has revealed the widespread sexual exploitation of refugee children by aid workers and peacekeepers in exchange for supplies sent to save lives.
The scandal, details of which emerged on Tuesday, is the latest in a series involving sex and corruption to taint aid and peacekeeping operations on the world's poorest continent.
Below are some scandals in recent years:
February - United Nations says investigation reveals that some peacekeeping troops in Mozambique paid for sex with children.
February - Angola …
SG/SM/7485/Rev.1* - AFR/253/Rev.1*
Following is the text of Secretary-General Kofi Annan's address to the Annual Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the Organization of African Unity (OAU), in Lomé on 10 July:
Let me add my voice to all those that have thanked the people and Government of Togo for their generous hospitality.
Council Concludes Month Dedicated to African Issues; Deputy Secretary General, President of Zambia Also Speak
One of the goals of “the month of Africa” in the Security Council in January was to highlight pertinent issues and refute the position that Africa did not matter -- that its problems were secondary to those in other parts of the world, Richard Holbrooke, the representative of the United States, told the Council this morning.
Meeting to Resume Tomorrow
"Africa fatigue" was an affront to the very idea of a responsible international community, Secretary-General Kofi Annan told the Security Council as it convened an open meeting this morning on the situation in Africa.
The meeting, which will resume tomorrow, was held to review the implementation of the recommendations contained in the Secretary-General's April 1998 report on the causes of conflict and promotion of durable peace and sustainable development in Africa.