Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 66 | 15 - 28 October 2018
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Multi-Sectoral Intervention Vital to Accelerate Reduction of Stunting: Researchers
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 67 | 29 October - 11 November 2018
There was an overall downward trend in the levels of organised violence and protests on the African continent during the month of August 2018 compared to the rest of the year. There are fewer reported events than is typical for August based on previous years, but this pattern may still be reversed due to reporting lags. Significant developments still spanned a number of countries in August 2018.
Israel reported that 36 iregular migrants had been intercepted trying to enter Israel from its southern border with Egypt in 2013 in comparison to over 10,000 intercepted in 2012, 17,000 in 2011 and nearly 15,000 in 2010. Mass migrant/asylum seeker protests were reported in December 2013 and January 2014 bemoaning a 1 year detention law and agitating for the adjudication of asylum and protection claims by migrants/asylum seekers.
The number of refugees from Somalia –1.1 million–is the third highest in the world after Afghanistan and Syria UNHCR leads protection and emergency relief interventions targeting 700,000 IDPs out of a total IDP population estimated at 1.1 million and over 2,300 refugees in Somalia.
RMMS presents an end of year trend summary and analysis for 2013 with a focus on the Horn of Africa and Yemen region and neighbouring areas. For ease of reading this presentation avoids using statistics and more detailed elaboration but provides a generic overview of prominent trends. Statistical details can be found in RMMS literature produced during the course of 2013 (Regional Mixed Migration Monthly Summaries / Quarterly reports etc )and can be located on our website.
1. Mixed migration: major characteristics
Updates on refugees and asylum seekers
novembre 2013 | Gezahegn AYEL, Raphaël BEAUJEU, Roger BLEIN, Jérôme COSTE, Françoise GÉRARD, Salifou KONATÉ, Henri LETURQUE, Pierre RAYÉ, Galam SIAM
Coordination : Jean-René CUZON et Claude TORRE (AFD); Jean-Christophe DEBAR (FARM)
JOHANNESBURG, 11 November 2013 (IRIN) - The shipwreck that claimed the lives of more than 350 mainly Eritrean asylum seekers off the Italian island of Lampedusa last month has focused Europe’s obsession with irregular migration on the area of the Mediterranean separating southern Italy and Malta from North Africa. But this treacherous stretch of sea represents only the final leg of a lengthy journey filled with hazards.
The Global Food Security update provides a quarterly overview of key food security trends in vulnerable countries. Information is provided by WFP VAM field teams and partners.
• In Syria, revised estimates indicate that the number of IDPs has risen to 6.5 million from 4.25 million in July. Vulnerability is increasing due to conflict, reduced economic activity, reduced crop production and high prices. As of October, UNHCR reports that over 2 million Syrians had found refuge in neighboring countries.
The Cost of Hunger Study in Africa (COHA) is a project led by the African Union Commission (AUC) and the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency, and supported by the UN Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), and the UN World Food Programme (WFP). COHA is a multi-country study aimed at estimating the economic and social impacts of child undernutrition in Africa.
Les responsables des Instituts statistiques nationaux ont convenu, dans la Déclaration d’Accra de 2008, d’intégrer le PCI dans leurs travaux statistiques usuels. Un PCI annuel à grande échelle n’étant pas envisageable pour la plupart des pays, la BAD a développé un programme réduit visant à faire des mises à jour annuelles des dernières comparaisons de référence et à aider les pays à renforcer leurs capacités statistiques dans les domaines clés de la comptabilité nationale et des statistiques de prix.
Somalia is the country generating the second highest number of refugees in the world (Afghanistan is the highest).
UNHCR leads protection and emergency relief interventions targeting 700,000 IDPs out of a total IDP population estimated at 1.1 million and over 2,300 refugees in Somalia.
Situation Générale en août 2013
Prévision jusqu'à’mi-octobre 2013
With the number of Syrian refugees registered or awaiting registration in Egypt now at more than 100,000 and expected to continue to grow in the face of intensified military action, humanitarian agency Church World Service joins local efforts in Cairo to provide basic services, education and protection.