Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Change and Continuity in Protests and Political Violence PM Abiy’s Ethiopia
- Ethiopia: The 2018 HDRP is facing a US$416.4 million funding shortfall to cover needs until the end of the year
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Helping Ethiopia Achieve Green Growth and Avoid Industrialised Nations’ Environmental Mistakes
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 65 | 01-14 October 2018
The worst drought in 60 years has struck northeast Africa in recent months. Rain in some countries was less than 5 percent of normal precipitation. Food production has seriously dropped, causing widespread famine.
More than 12.4 million people in countries such as Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia and Djibouti are affected, according to the United Nations, and tens of thousands of people have already died.
The Chinese government will provide emergency food aid and cash aid worth 353.2 million yuan ($55.28 million) to Ethiopia and other African drought-stricken regions to fight drought, Premier Wen Jiabao made the promise when meeting Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi on August 15, in Beijing.
China announced to provide 90 million yuan ($14 million) of emergency food assistance to countries in the Horn of Africa in late July.
Currently, a worst drought once in 60 years hit Northeast Africa and has caused a serious food crisis, and about 11 million people are threatened by starvation. Among the disaster-hit areas, Ethiopia, Kenya and Djibouti are the hardest-hit countries. In order to help the three countries to overcome current hardship, the Chinese government has decided to provide emergency grain aid to them, and will ship the grain to the three countries as soon as possible.